Author Topic: What stock  (Read 4887 times)

B Staley

What stock
« on: February 07, 2015, 07:21:48 AM »
I have a Caywood round barrel 42" long what would be a good stock to fit it. I look on TOW but didn't see any for round barrels  any suggestions .

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: What stock
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »
What do you like ?   Could be an English or Colonial fowler, is it smooth by the way ?  Track wolf shows English fowler stock  with undersize bbl. inlet 5/8"  but is slow delivery, call Pecatonica or knob mt.or sitting fox they may sell you a stock you can work with ?   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »
I have a Caywood round barrel 42" long what would be a good stock to fit it. I look on TOW but didn't see any for round barrels  any suggestions .
probably a Caywood stock would fit it well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

B Staley

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 06:43:54 PM »
I'm sure Caywood would have a stock at about 5x the price of TOW. Just wanted to see what my options are. Thanks for the replies.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »
There are a number of options open to you, but the only stock that "would fit it " referring to your barrel; is more than likely the one available from Caywood. There are other stocks , as you mentioned i.e. Track of the Wolf , or Petaconica, etc but they are in the " can be made to fit " category, in that they mostly have undersized barrel channels cut.  You could obtain a stock without any  pre cut channel and send it out to have your barrel inlet. There are some on this board who offer this service.  Otherwise, you are in for some work.  Either $ or work.  Nothing new ;D

B Staley

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »
Bob thanks for the reply.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 01:55:16 AM »
You might want to check out Knob Mountain Muzzleloading (Dave keck).  He has a bunch of patterns on his web site.  You could buy a blank, ship it and the barrel to Dave, and he'll inlet the barrel, drill the ram rod hole (if you wish), and also shape the butt to a pattern you chose.  Just a thought......

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 02:46:34 AM »
Ditto what Ed says. Look at Dave's site, find what you want, call him up and have a talk.  A good many of the builders, Pro, and Rookie use him.  But wait a while so he can finish my English Sporting, and SMR. ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

B Staley

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 03:46:37 AM »
Thanks guys I will look at his site. Going to call Danny Caywood on Monday and see what he can do.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
Just so the scratch built section has a representative,  you could just get a stock blank, inlet the barrel yourself, and build whatever you like.   However, most builders who are not masochistic, like me,  would do as Ed suggested.

B Staley

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 06:29:12 AM »
Problem solved I was getting ready to buy a kit from Danny when I came across a left hand English game gun that was less than the kit.....:) so I can put the 62 cal rifle barrel in the stock I have already and still have the 12 gauge Fowler.😃