Author Topic: stained stock  (Read 5042 times)

Offline b bogart

stained stock
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »
While attempting to carve my stock I drop a large drop of sweat onto the buttstock. Of course I wiped it off, but it left a sizable blackish stain. A little sanding shows it to lighten a little, but is there something I need to do short of not sweating (not an option!) to remedy this, or will it disappear under Homer Danglers dark brown stain? Inquiring minds want to know.
Bruce

Sam Everly

Re: stained stock
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »
I have never had a problem, i don't think you will ever see it . When you whisker it use alcohol and it should bring any oil out . Or just rub the alcohol on the spot. 

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »
Black sweat?  Man, you need medical attention!   ;)

I sweat all over my stocks.  Doesn't really stain.

I'll presume it was dirt that was on the stock and soaked into the wood when the sweat hit it.  You may actually try washing it off with water and a clean paper towel.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:07:35 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »
It had to be an inletting black smudge on your forehead.   It may never come off!!! :'(
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:27:26 PM »
Bruce...

Don't sweat it (sorry, couldn't resist)...  After scraping, sanding, or whiskering, then staining, you'll never see it.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:31:47 PM »
My sweat cleans a tarnished penny in seconds, and the rear ramrod pipe on all my long guns is bright brass when the rest of the furniture is nicely tarnished... It also stains wood when I don't want it to.  Not black, but definitely noticeable.  Alcohol cleans most of it, but I'm still careful about handling when I do the final scraping and detailing on a stock.  

It'll probably disappear under the brown stain, particularly since it's a dye and not a chemical stain.  
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline b bogart

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:16:31 AM »
Dane are you implying that I was inletting my forehead? ;D

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 12:37:01 AM »
I just know, that if I get within 3ft of that inletting black, I have it EVERYWHERE.
In His grip,

Dane