Author Topic: New .50 Cal Maple Stocked Rifle - Finished !  (Read 18084 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
New .50 Cal Maple Stocked Rifle - Finished !
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:53:10 PM »
I am determined, while I have some rare free time between contracts, to finish as many of the partially started rifles and pistols I have put on hold as I learned enough from the great builders on this site to know how much I didn't know (if that makes any sense....?)  The problem with completing projects I started before I learned as much as I have now is that I have to live with a lot of things that I would not now do the same way.  However, I have determined that I can learn more by making the best of what I have rather than throwing it all out and starting over.

So here is another rifle that I really started in parallel with the walnut stocked rifle I just finished.  The architecture had long been established as well as some of the parts I used.  I had originally planned to make another brass patch box, but in building the copy of the Kibler rifle that I completed a while ago, I made my first wooden patch box got the hang of it.  I changed over to one here.  The barrel is a Rice, 42 inch, swamped, round bottom rifling in .50 cal.  I had already inletted a Chamber English round faced lock along with the barrel.  I liked the carving I copied on the Kibler rifle and am using many of the same elements here, with some modifications.

So here is is so far................

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:29:14 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: New .50 Cal Maple Stocked Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »
That is such clean work.  Beautiful.

Coryjoe

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:32 AM »
Your work is top notch. When ya get done with that old clunker send it to me an I will properly dispose of it for you ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:12:13 AM »
NICE DAVE!~ ;D

I still double dawg dare you ;D

what was the thinkness you used on your sideplate??

marc n tomtotm

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 06:52:59 AM »
Thanks...

Kaintuck......I cut the side plate out of 1/8 inch brass.  I inlet it about half way.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 03:24:49 AM »
Really nice, Dave.  I like the trigger, don't see that too often, nice touch...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 05:53:42 AM »
All the rough carving completed.  Just need to finish sculpting and cleaning up the background.....

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:28:31 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline PPatch

Re: New .50 Cal Maple Stocked Rifle - Rough Carving Complete
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 06:06:45 AM »
Beautiful work sir. Carry on... ;o)

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »
Dave,
You are an inspiration my friend!
I love it.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 06:32:24 AM »
James,

I had to build a rifle that wouldn't embarrass the pouch you made for me......:)
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »
Dave,
Beautiful work, as allways. Could you show some closeups of the volutes on the forestock? I want to do something like that on my Beck rifle.
Still practicing on scraps. Can't seem to get it right. I'm stamping with gouges.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
Rolf,

The carving is just roughed in and these volutes are not cleaned up yet.  I cut in the volute with a knife, remove the material in the scroll with a small flat chisel, and then do a final clean up of the volute shape with the knife again.  Here is one side

And the other side

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:28:07 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 12:56:09 PM »
Beautiful Amazing work!!

There are a few members on here that when I see they post something related to a rifle build I cannot wait to click on the link and see what kind of beautiful work will be displayed!

Dave you are at the top of that list!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:02:53 PM by melsdad »
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 07:06:28 AM »
I have been a fan of your work ever since I saw the nautical themed priming horn you made. Really nice design on the side plate and clam shell carving.
Regards Richard

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 10:05:30 AM »
Some engraving.....not none, but not too much.  English motif.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:27:43 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline rjpalmer

Re: New .50 Cal Maple Stocked Rifle - Some Engraving Completed
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »
Truly superb !!!!

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 06:43:28 PM »
Dave is that clay that you are using to hold the trigger guard? If so can you give some details?
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 06:54:28 PM »
That's the inspiration I needed to get me down to my workbench and cover the floor with maple woodchips!
Some really nice details!
Tom C.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 07:10:56 PM »
 Amazing!

Tim C.

Offline old george

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »
That is truly a fine weapon, your talent is amazing. Anyone would be proud in have her in a prominent place of display. Keep up the great work.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline mountainman

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 07:21:21 PM »
Beautiful... Is that dykem blue on your brass parts?  If so, do you use that for engraving purpose?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »
Dave is that clay that you are using to hold the trigger guard? If so can you give some details?

I'll bet it's Bondo on a piece of wood to fill the trigger guard bow...gives support to the brass to dampen vibration.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 08:29:13 PM »
Melsdad,

Not clay or Bondo...having worked for my father as a dental technician from the time I was 6 until I left for the Naval Academy at 19, I use a lot of dental techniques and materials for gun work including castings, etc. (I keep a fairly well set up and stocked dental laboratory handy because I make my own crowns when required and end up making a lot of dental prosthetics for family members....and my Dad, who is 90, still does better work than I do....)

To hold a lot of unusual shaped pieces firmly and without damage for engraving, I often use something we called "cold cure".  It is a powdered acrylic that is mixed with a monomer liquid to the consistency of peanut butter.  The part is set in place on any convenient substrate, in this case a wood block, and the acrylic sets up very hard in a couple of minutes.  The part can be released with heat when the engraving is done.  This acrylic is the same material used to make the pink body of a denture.  The material I am using here is clear / white rather than pink.  Like Bondo, and as Taylor points out, the acrylic holds the part very firmly so there is no vibration or "bounce" while engraving.

Mountainman,

Yes, that is Dykem.  I use many methods to get the original design down on the part, but often just Dykem the surface and sketch the design very, very lightly with a sharp scribe.  The part looks like this while I am working:

Here the side plate has been attached to a scrap piece of wood with Super Glue (also later released by heat), coated with Dykem, the design sketched, and then cut.  Before I remove the Dykem, I blacken the engraving with a "Q" tip and Brass Black.  In the fresh cuts, the Black works immediately and the Dykem keeps the rest of the surface from blackening.  Once the cuts are black, I wipe off the Dykem with lacquer thinner.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:27:15 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: New .50 Cal Maple Stocked Rifle - Finishing the carving- Staining the wood
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 04:12:49 AM »
Continuing the work on this rifle......

Finishing the carving

Two applications of Aqua Fortis / iron stain with heat blush of each and the seal coat of Sutherland & Wells polymerized tung oil 50/50 with aged turpentine.

Some barrel decoration in progress

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:26:07 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline flatsguide

Re: New .50 Cal Maple Stocked Rifle - Finishing the carving- Staining the wood
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 04:47:28 AM »
Thank you for the tutorial on how you hold parts. I guess the use of Dykem cuts down on glare too.
Richard