Author Topic: Frank Barker - bag  (Read 5982 times)

Arnie Dowd

Frank Barker - bag
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »
Another great Hunting Bag by Frank Barker was just posted on the Contemporary Maker site.  Frank is an outstanding craftsman and he keeps his products very reasonably priced.  Frank made me a bag very similar to the one shown but mine also has a diagonal knife sheath as well as a vertical hawk sheath - both on the back.  He personalized the bag to my 4th gr-grandfather who sereved 6 tours in the Virginia State Line (Militia).  Both his color and aging are exc.  I would highly recommend Frank for your leather needs.  Arnie Dowd

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Frank Barker - bag
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:52:37 AM »
It's a fine looking bag and another example of a very talented craftsman I have not seen or heard of until his work showed up on the Blog. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:10:26 AM »
Thanks Fellows for all the nice comments, but there are lots of folks out there that are much more talented than I. I am just thankful that I even got my foot in the door. You all are very much appreciated.........Frank Barker Jr.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:08:07 AM »
Lt. Frank.  Your work is really nice.  Can you post some other work for us all to see?
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:44:53 AM »
Lt Frank, excellent work and craftsmanship.  And I'm sure it's appreciated by all that view the blog.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:02:08 AM »
Hey Guy's....Here are three early Virginia style pouches I just finished for some customers. I recently placed a pouch on the CLA site, commemorating The First Virginia Regiment and I have made eight bags to fill the orders I received off of that posting. Attached are three of the ones I just finished.  The front of the pouch body is tooled with a heart and vine motif, with LIBERTY OR DEATH stamped inside the heart. The vine has 13 leaves, signifying the 13 original colonies. They are lightly aged, by dye shading and are hand rubbed with Mink Oil to a dark brown, burgundy color.

The First Virginia Regiment was authorized in July 1775 by the Virginia Convention and led a very colorful and historical life. In February 1776 the Regiment was accepted into the Continental Army and trained in Williamsburg, VA. They joined the Grand Army in Harlem Heights and took part in the Battles of Trenton, Princeton and Germantown. They wintered at Valley Forge in December of 1777 and in May of 1780 parts of them were captured by Sir Henry Clinton at Charleston SC.  When the war ended, there were only five companies that could be accounted for and only two Officers that could trace their history with the Regiment for more than two years.
These pouches commemorate the First VA Regiment and its very colorful service to this Great Country.........Thanks for your kind comments.   Frank

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:15:34 AM by Lt Frank »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:18:14 AM »
More great looking bags!  Hard to tell from the pics, but are they double bags?  And I really like the buckles.  I've been looking for some nice forged ones for my work, do you make these yourself?
Keep up the great work. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:50 AM »
Gary.....These are just single pouches, with a gusset. I was given this pattern by a friend who copied it from an original Va. bag.  I purchase my buckles from Tony and Judy Roberts at Mountain Top Trading Co. in Colfax, WA. mountaintoptradingco.com
They are great people to deal with and give very prompt service. Thank you for your kind comments.....Frank

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 04:09:21 PM »
LT Frank,
Thanks for posting the photos of the bag.  I live in Williamsburg and was quite interested in the bags.
Larry Luck

dickert54cal

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 04:23:26 AM »
Nice work for sure!

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 05:37:13 AM »
Thanks Guy's for your kind words and encouragement..........Frank