Author Topic: Peter Neward rifle up for sale  (Read 4779 times)

Bioprof

Peter Neward rifle up for sale
« on: February 25, 2009, 04:42:39 AM »
I saw a percussion rifle up for sale on a dealer's site today with the lock marked Peter Neward.    Just thought I'd pass this along.   What do you guys think about it?

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=27832

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Peter Neward rifle up for sale
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:58:17 AM »
Hmmm, decent fullstock rifle, looks intact, but I would not often attribute a percussion gun based on the lock signature.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:05:57 AM »
Looks like a Hess gun.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:34:18 AM »
A Hess family gun with an English lock on it. Most likely converted to cap. Nonetheless, it is a very nice little rifle being sold at a favorable price, in my opoinion.
Dick

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:05:15 AM »
Much better than the 9 or 10 thousand I saw on another Hess gun for sale recently....

Actually, that was at the last big Louisville gun show I went to.  One guy had a typical Hess type gun and had like $9,000 on it.  Nice shape, but holy cow.  Another guy had a virtually identical gun....$2,000.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Bioprof

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:46:37 AM »
I'm not in a position to buy it, but just thought it was a nice looking longrifle.   I found another Hess rifle for sale:

http://www.aaawt.com/html/firearms/f399.html

It sounds like the one I originally posted about would be a good deal for someone.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:40:06 AM »
Dick do you think it's an "English" lock or English-styled lock?  What are your thoughts on the stamping?  Peter Neihart/Neuhardt of Whitehall twp. died in 1813 and was taxed in the 1810 schedule of manufacturers in NH Co. under the 'smitheries' as Peter Neuhardt.  Neuhardt - Newhard.  Same name, many forms I've seen in the period documents.  I guess the question is, could this lock predate his death in 1813 and have been a product of his smithy?  First I've seen if so.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:28:42 AM »
Eric, I defer to your expertise on this one. You present some tantalizing options here. The style is early enough in my opinion that it could have been made prior to 1813. It follows the Ketland style generally and they go back into the last quarter of the 1700s.
With that name on it, it is hard to see it as an imported lock, as opposed to hardware dealers who had locks made in Europe and stamped with the company name.
Quite possible that 'Newhard' made the lock and that brings us to wonder if he also made the
rifle, too. It would be helpful to see and hold the gun for a critical examination.
Regards-Dick

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 03:31:27 PM »
PErsonally I think the rifle is just what it appears to be - a straight-up Hess rifle.  What makes it interesting is that the Hess's were up in Heidelberg twp along the base of the Blue Mtn., this twp. being right above Neihardt in Whitehall.  So, the Hess gunmsiths and Neihardt would surely have interacted on some level.   Frankly I find the lockplate more interesting than the remainder of the rifle!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!