Author Topic: Roller Lock "66" and unknown rifle attachments...  (Read 6698 times)

fairlady

Roller Lock "66" and unknown rifle attachments...
« on: February 19, 2015, 02:03:15 AM »
Hello..!   I just was given an old cake tin full of various flintlock & muzzleloader parts and pieces and am hoping that someone could help me with identification.  I think I have a Bob Roller muzzleloader lock and hammer.  The visible text that is stamped says Oller, but when I pulled the trigger back it reveals a 'R' and the number '66" under the spring.  I sure would like to know the age of this if anybody can answer that.  Also, I have uploaded a picture of what looks like a tiny bayonet, but really don't know what the darn things are.  They measure about 2-1/2" long including the threaded end.  What are they?
Thanks

Trying to figure out how to add a picture  ::)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:04:25 AM by fairlady »

Offline Carper

Re: Roller Lock "66" and unknown rifle attachments...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 02:49:20 AM »
I cannot see the picture but the "tiny bayonet" sounds like a spur used in cock fighting. Johnny Walker

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:00:47 AM »
Bob Roller is a member here, so can answer the lock question.

So,,, what else was in the box? You going to keep it, sell it, ebay it? Just curious.

John
John Robbins

fairlady

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 03:07:13 AM »
I cannot see the picture but the "tiny bayonet" sounds like a spur used in cock fighting. Johnny Walker

I sure appreciate your reply, but the bayonet things are made of solid iron and are heavy for their small size.  They also have the number 42 stamped on them.  I think that since I am a new member the adding pictures may not be enabled yet for me.  When I can add them then you will see what I mean.  Thanks a bunch!

fairlady

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 03:12:28 AM »
Bob Roller is a member here, so can answer the lock question.

So,,, what else was in the box? You going to keep it, sell it, ebay it? Just curious.

John

Hi John...There are several lock plates, flintlock and muzzleloader assemblies.  Plus various parts and pieces.  Not sure what to do with them at this time.  When I have been a member for thirty days, I read that I could use the classifieds section at that time so we will see.

Its wonderful that Bob Roller is a member so he will most likely tell me about the lock that I have  :)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 05:14:49 AM »
  I think that since I am a new member the adding pictures may not be enabled yet for me. 

Hi Fairlady,

Welcome to ALR.  New members are not prevented from posting pictures.  Here is a link to a tutorial on posting pictures.  Hope this helps.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

fairlady

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 05:23:47 AM »
Thank You Ron..!  I will check it out  8)

Offline rtadams

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 05:41:21 AM »
2-18-15

Fairlady,

The Bob Roller precussion locks that I have are stamped Roller in a semicircle on the inside of the lock plate under the lock main spring with the numbers in the middle under the circular name Roller, indicating the date; such as in your lock "66" which would have been made in 1966. I would assume that he would have stamped his flintlocks in the same manner. Also, I believe that Bob hand stamped his locks and you will see some variation in the lettering spacing etc.. I will let Bob Roller correct me if I am wrong and/or expand upon the type of lock that you have etc.

Best Regards,

Robert
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:42:42 AM by rtadams »

fairlady

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 05:49:36 AM »
Great information Robert.  I was thinking that the 66 stood for the year but was unsure.

fairlady

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 05:51:29 AM »

fairlady

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 05:54:03 AM »
Here are some pictures of the tiny bayonets thingy's lol

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 06:08:07 AM »
Breech plugs yo.

They are fitted to the tube to make it a gun barrel (and not a tube).  The extension is the tang.  You drill a hole in it to secure the breech end of the bbl. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:13:17 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 06:11:29 AM »
What you have there, besides an excellent and valuable lock, are three breech plugs.  They are threaded into the back end of a muzzle loading barrel, and are rarely thereafter, removed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
What you have there, besides an excellent and valuable lock, are three breech plugs.  They are threaded into the back end of a muzzle loading barrel, and are rarely thereafter, removed.

This looks like a little used lock but it IS one of mine.1966 was the year but I can't say any more than that.
I bought a box of those hammers I think from We Kindig in Lodi,Ohio and used all of them.
These locks probably cost about $30 each.The passage of 49 years hasn't hurt this little lock and I am glad for the picture and Taylor's kind comment about it.
Stay warm.It's zero as I write this and supposed to be 12 below tonight. We thank God for a warm and comfortable old house and a fast starting car.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 06:44:21 PM »
2-18-15

Fairlady,

The Bob Roller precussion locks that I have are stamped Roller in a semicircle on the inside of the lock plate under the lock main spring with the numbers in the middle under the circular name Roller, indicating the date; such as in your lock "66" which would have been made in 1966. I would assume that he would have stamped his flintlocks in the same manner. Also, I believe that Bob hand stamped his locks and you will see some variation in the lettering spacing etc.. I will let Bob Roller correct me if I am wrong and/or expand upon the type of lock that you have etc.

Best Regards,

Robert

Robert,
You are correct in assuming I do use individual stencils on my lock signatures.
Beginning in 1989 I changed the logo to "Roller USA" and no date.

Bob Roller