Author Topic: Barrel replacement  (Read 3577 times)

54ball

Barrel replacement
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:55 PM »
 My friend has a lower priced custom gun that in my opinion needs the barrel replaced. The barrel is 46" full round and tapers from about 1 inch to about 7/8-13/16. It's a homemade DOM barrel in .62 poorly filed at the lock bolster.

I'm thinking about having a tapered octagonal barrel made for it in a rifle caliber. In your opinion is this doable, having a tapered octagonal barrel made and fitting it to the existing round channel?

Thanks.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Barrel replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:31:41 PM »
If I were handed the gun and said "do something with this", I would restock the existing parts with a new barrel and piece of wood.  In truth, a lot of octagonal barrels have hogged out rounded barrel channels, but fitting an octagonal barrel to a stock that is already shaped may prove more difficult than its worth.  It's probably doable, but I could see it being quite a headache too.  Better to start fresh with a new piece of wood and a proper barrel. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »
Evon is right about it possibly being more difficult than it is worth. I recently went the other way. I had a rifle with a 1" octagon barrel and turned it octagon to round. I bedded the round portion of the barrel into the 1" octagon barrel channel and it worked out fine. Octagon into a round channel could be a headache.
Mark
Mark

54ball

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »
 Thanks Eric and Smoking Buck. That's not what I wanted to hear but it is sound advice. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:03:57 AM by 54ball »

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »
You could send the old barrel to one of our barrel makers and have them turn one to the same profile. I am sure Ed Rayl could do that.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 06:18:40 PM »
Or, you could have it bored and  sleeved with a nice rifled liner.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 07:17:07 PM »
Glue wood into old channel, inlet bbl of choice. 

a major do-over.  best of luck.

If i was doing it that way, i'd get a 1" hardwood dowel and fit it.  Just a taper right?  Then let in new bbl.
Hold to the Wind

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »
It all comes down to the much time and effort you want to put into it.
If you know someone with a router, and identify how much wood has to be removed, it is not be all that difficult. Doing it by hand would be about 3 hours. The majority of the wood has already been removed.