Author Topic: Most "INHERENTLY ACCURATE" Rifle/Smoothbore Caliber/Bore?  (Read 6053 times)

BrushCountryAg03

Most "INHERENTLY ACCURATE" Rifle/Smoothbore Caliber/Bore?
« on: February 22, 2015, 03:34:02 AM »
Howdy everyone,

The question in the title of this post is one that has swirled around in my mind for some time.  I ask it for a lot reasons...One of which is because of the passionate affinity some builder/shooters have towards certain calibers/bores such as classic debates between .50 vs. .54 caliber or 20ga  vs 28ga.

I'm sincerely interested in any well established trends and any and all comments are very appreciated!

***Incidentally, I'm asking this question in the BUILDING forum because I'm trying to decide on a new project route.***

Will
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:07:44 AM by SouthernSteel&Shot »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Most "INHERENTLY ACCURATE" Rifle/Smoothbore Caliber/Bore?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 04:02:49 AM »
In a round ball rifle, larger calibers are going to be less affected by wind. Smaller calibers may be more comfortable for some to shoot.  The range would also impact caliber choice.  I don't believe any calibers are inherently more accurate than others, from a machine rest in still air.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:53:09 AM »
"most inherently accurate"... there is no such thing.  Whether you're talking about muzzleloading guns or modern cartridge arms either one.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 06:56:43 AM »
Well, in the smokeless world, you would at least get answers like:  3006, .300 Win, & .308 Win...For instance, one thing all 3 have in common is that they are all .30 CALIBER.

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 07:03:41 AM »
I have a feeling that the standard generic (and probably best) answer will be the Lead Ball hardness/wt./dia. + Patch material/thickness + Lube type/amount + Over-Powder Wad material/thickness + Powder make/grain size/charge, etc. COMBINATION that works the best for a particular rifle/smoothbore.

But as the trend in the smokeless world always goes back to the .30 CALIBER, I was almost forced to logically assume that the same must hold true for the BLACKPOWDER world.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:39:17 AM by SouthernSteel&Shot »

Offline Collector

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 09:17:47 AM »
As I recall, in smooth-bore competition at Friendship, the .550's (true 28 ga.) holds all of the records.  John Getz has a .550 smooth-rifle, in his shop, that you might be interested in.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »
From a person who has many years of rifle muzzleloading ( rifled barrel ) but only a very little smooth bore round ball shooting.
What is considered a very good group/score, and at what distance?
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 03:30:50 PM »
40cal as per a couple of the barrel makers......
Slow twist, long barrels
Marc n tomtom

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 04:56:07 PM »
I believe that it has more to do with practical velocity vs recoil in terms of the bore size and accuracy. In other words, if you go to a .62 cal but can't get the velocity up to where you can really take advantage of the wind bucking capabilities, you are no better off than if you had stayed with a .50 cal and a decent powder charge.
This is the reason that you see so many .40 and .54's on the target range.   

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »
But as the trend in the smokeless world always goes back to the .30 CALIBER, I was almost forced to logically assume that the same must hold true for the BLACKPOWDER world.

As I recall, in smooth-bore competition at Friendship, the .550's (true 28 ga.) holds all of the records.  John Getz has a .550 smooth-rifle, in his shop, that you might be interested in.

.550 is the new .30?   ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:58:50 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 05:32:05 PM »
Generally speaking less recoil means better accuracy. With long barrels its more apparent since there is more movement of the rifle before the ball exits. This is why many chunk guns are so heavy. Smooth bores? Just use what you like in this case.  I could go where the data is to prove this but of course , well you know.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »
Well, in the smokeless world, you would at least get answers like:  3006, .300 Win, & .308 Win...For instance, one thing all 3 have in common is that they are all .30 CALIBER.

I will take a chance.
Note the calibers listed here. The "6" means 6mm.
http://www.mt1000yd.com/2014/04/april-2014-results/
Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
"most inherently accurate"... there is no such thing.  Whether you're talking about muzzleloading guns or modern cartridge arms either one.   ;)

First we would have to ask for what use? If we want to shoot to 500 yards we need a 1" bore wall rifle.
In MLs I suspect that all other things being equal that a 20 pound 45 will out shoot a 20 pound .62 when fired from a front rest and shoulder only. If we shoot them in a machine rest, or make the 62 weigh 40 or 50 pounds then it might be more accurate especially in the real world with wind. Assuming perfectly round balls with no imperfections either on the exterior or the interior. Perfectly lubed patches etc etc. If we shoot them in a 100 yard indoor range with all things being equal the smaller bore will surely shoot better in the same weight rifle. But it might take ten 10 shot groups with each to prove it, and better sights too. This after finding the best load for both.

Dan

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 06:54:59 PM »

I nod towards the 6.55x55 Swede......

......but mostly, guns are only as accurate as the jerk on the trigger. Human factor may be the deciding edge.

I love to use the practice of the "one hole group threory", that is, I shoot once and proclaim a perfect one hole group. Nobody can argue against it......works every time......leaves people in awe........they never question it.....and it's fun to do.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 07:08:23 PM »
Ok we've had enough examples from cartridge guns now.  Please stick to longrifle shooting from here on out.
Andover, Vermont

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
I am locking this thread due to the continued discussion of modern rifle/calibers.

You get upset when we lock topics but this shows why we feel we have to do it. If we let things slide a little all of a sudden the dam breaks.

We wish to be a traditional long rifle forum, there are many others that welcome modern arm discussions.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson