Author Topic: Chambers English Fowler  (Read 21239 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Chambers English Fowler
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
This is a Chambers English Fowler I just finished up for a customer.Since I posted the engraving on it earlier I thought I would post the finished product.

Mitch Yates

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: Chambers English Fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
  Super nice Mitch!!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »
Mitch,
Looks like a very nice utilitarian gun that the customer will be proud to own and carry but at the same time not afraid to take it out and hunt up a few birds and water fowl with.  Nice job.  Of course, I think all guns should be shot, I would even hunt with the fowler that Kibler just finished up if I owned it.
David

Ric27

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:01:43 PM »
Very Nice Gun. Subtle and Tastefully done. The detail is is pleasing and easy going not to say simple just not overdone. In general the original guns I am fortunate enough to see are never really bold in any way. I think you have caught that harmony with this gun.   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:02:57 PM by Ric27 »

Offline old george

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
I love the wood on this one. simple but with understated elegance. I like it.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »
Very nicely done. That Chamber's English fowling gun deserves to be more popular. I have one with a cherry stock, and it is the best handling gun I own.  My much used NE fowling gun, as well as the Pen. fowler are very nice and are wonderful shooters; but the English gun is superb !

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 06:38:13 PM »
Very nice. There is alot to like here. Fit,finish,carving,and engraving all blend well together. 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »
Hi Mitch,
It was great seeing you at Lewisburg.  Beautiful gun!  Great engraving!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 07:51:08 PM »
A good job well built pity the true merits of an original English Fowler  had been followered would have improved this build immensely
Feltwad

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »
pity the true merits of an original English Fowler  had been followered would have improved this build immensely

Feltwad

For everyones' education, please feel free to elaborate

Mitch

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 08:27:20 PM »
  From what I can see I think This gun is very well built. Nice clean lines and a good finish with very good parts fit. The engraving is well done but not quite English. The one thing that bothers me is the grain of the wood and I can't blame that on the builder.   Believe me when I say no matter how good you get some people will criticize you. Some for no other reason than jealousy. For the sake of education let us be specific when giving opinions and remember not all people are qualified to critique.
 Never pay too  much attention to your grandmothers compliments or the critique of amateurs. PS-- nice patina also
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:28:52 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 01:38:19 AM »
Nice job, those are fun to build.....Are you sure I didn't build it? ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 02:59:33 AM »
Tallbear, Please never mind what some wannabe said about that georgeous rifle of yours, Its just simply beautiful and very,very well done. I like everything about it. Let no one tell you that its below par because its simply a masterpiece in my opinion. Just like Jerry said, they are just in envy because you do a mush better job they can ever!!!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 03:27:04 AM »
Thanks Guys while I ceratinly appreciate the kind words, I have no issue with Feltwad's post.I know from his postings that he is a lifelong student of English fowlers.My lifelong goal in gun building is to make each gun I build better than the last.While recognizing that due to the fact this was a precarved kit and some things were predetermined this was my first English fowler and certainly there are things that can be improved.I'm certain that there are more English fowlers in my future and I welcome Feltwads or any one elses input on how my work can be improved!!

Mitch Yates
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:55:09 AM by aka tallbear »

Offline whitebear

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 03:58:31 AM »
Tallbear, I have read the post on two different fowlers tonight, one Germanic and yours
I love both of them equally.  I like the fancyness of the first and the plain simple good looks of the second.  As has been said some people complain just to have something to say and others from jellosy.  Personally I would be very proud to own ether of these guns.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 04:10:20 AM »
Great Gun, Mitch.  I especially like the tang carving.
Regards,
Petch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 04:13:08 AM »
Looking good Mitch!

Offline mab7

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 04:19:47 AM »
Simple, eloquent and beautiful.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 05:11:36 AM »
Hi Feltwad,
I think you owe Mitch and us an explanation for your comment.  We all want to learn and it would be valuable for all of us to know why you think Mitch's fowler does not represent a English fowling gun made during 1740-1770 or so.  Looking at Neal and Back's books on British gunmaking, it would seem that Mitch did a pretty good job and I say that with a fine original English fowler from the 1760s-1770s hanging next to me on my wall.  Indeed, it looks a lot like Mitch's gun. What do you know that is different?  All of the examples you have shown us over the years are from a later period so what wisdom can you share with us about English guns from the period represented by Mitch's fowler?

Take care,

dave     
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline albert

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 06:11:02 AM »
very fine job, I'm building one now,hope it turns out at least half as good as yours '''
j albert miles

Offline little joe

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 06:15:09 AM »
I guess I,m ignorant of what one should look like, so Feltwad would you educate me please.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 07:12:19 AM »
Mitch, That's a very fine looking fowler - and as I said when I saw the carving earlier, it's your best shell-style carving yet.  Nice super-slim lock panels too. Was great to see you at Lewisburg again - I'm sorry we couldn't catch up more!
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
It seems I have offended some on what I said  but the build was a first class job  which would have been improved if it had stuck too the original English Fowler to the period it was to represent I understand that it was built from a kit so that may explain . I am not going to give the faults has I will be accused of nit picking but stick too the original and not create a gun that is bit of this and bit that . May I also reply to some of the comments jealousy does not come into it I have no call to be, for a wannabe with 66years of collecting , restoring and shooting muzzle loaders  I think I am past that stage.
Feltwad

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 03:13:11 PM »
Feltwad,
I would suggest that the specific details would be valuable feedback and all of us could benefit from it. Leaving it at a general criticism sort of implies Mitch and we are not worth the effort. I hope that is not the way you feel. Having learned much from your posts in the past I don't believe that is true. And as I also like to build English fowling pieces etc. I would appreciate it if you could point out the smallest details that make a difference in your eyes. Mitch has indicated a genuine desire to learn from you. to me that is a request which I hope you will honor. Anyone else' tail feathers being ruffled is..........
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »
I really like the colors you achieved on the wood and metal parts.