Author Topic: Gun Making Question  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Gun Making Question
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »
I see many contemporary makers engraving their name on the lock plate today. Is thist an acceptable practice?
I could be very wrong (I usually am) but I thought only the maker of the lock put their name on the lock plate and the gun maker put their name on the barrel.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Gun Making Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:36:57 PM »
I see many contemporary makers engraving their name on the lock plate today. Is thist an acceptable practice?
I could be very wrong (I usually am) but I thought only the maker of the lock put their name on the lock plate and the gun maker put their name on the barrel.

Many a fine Rigby,Holland&Holland,Alex Henry and others have their name on the outside of the lock
but the name of Brazier,Evans,Stanton who were lock makers on the inside.I always stamp my last
name inside the lock and don't mind if the gun maker puts his name on the outside of the lock plate.
My Whitworth had "Whitworth Rifle Co.Manchester"on the outside of the plate but Jos.Brazier inside.

Bob Roller

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:34:16 PM »
 Joseph Manton never made his own locks. They were usually subcontracted at least in part.
 I think the main reason you never see this on original long rifles is because the locks were imported in the case hardened state and could not be engraved.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:34:00 AM »
English trade guns (think carolina or type G) had the name of the gun maker on the lock and "LONDON" engraved or stamped on the barrel. It's an English thing..... ;) In fact French guns most often had the gun makes name on the lock too....must be a Euro thing.... :-\
Colonial/American made guns were usually signed on the barrel if at all.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:21:03 AM »
Them zany Europeans. Thanks.

Offline RAT

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:55:55 PM »
With regards to NW guns... The HBCo required the gunmakers name to be on the lock plate with the date. There is a specific date when this policy started. I'm writing this from work, so I don't have Gooding's book handy to look up the specifics.
Bob

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »

Considering that the guns I make have my name on them I engrave them anyway I like. Within my abilities anyway.
Import locks were often marked with the IMPORTER'S or dealer's name. Few were actually lock makers since locks from Birmingham were so cheap.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine