Author Topic: Fusil De Chasse smoothbore  (Read 4120 times)

swordmanjohn

Fusil De Chasse smoothbore
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:42:13 AM »
In about 2 weeks or so ill be getting a Fusil 69 caliber smoothbore to add to my humble collection of muzzle loaders.
I was wondering if anyone would offer any words of wisdom to a new smoothbore shooter like shot charge bullet size ( its a .677) and patch thickness,lube, and advice on its use as a shotgun . Thanks.  :)

northmn

Re: Fusil De Chasse smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:28:18 PM »
The 69 is a 14 gaugeand can use those wads and components.  As to round ball smoothbores can be a rule onto themselves with some liking a heavy patch and a smaller ball.  Other threads have discussed loads for shot, but the 14 can handle up to 1 and 1/4 ounce fairly well as what is considered square loads.  They were not unpopular in later years in doubles as they made slimmer doubles and permitted easier reach on the hammers.  They still handled a respectable load of shot.  Most are finding that 2F makes the best loads and you might try for starters a 1 1/8 oz shot charge and about 70-80 grains of 2F.  Modern guns more or less gravitated to 4 units between bores, 12, 16, 20 and then 28 although Europe still has some 24 gauges.  The 16 still has a following although ammo makers and gun makers would love to kill it off.  While the differences may seem nit picking in modern guns, in a BP smoothbore using both round ball and shot there is considerable difference.  The 69 is a great bore using a ball adequate for most anything and yet still light enough so as not to kick as hard as the bigger ones.   Standard bore of the French military and adopted by the US after the Revolution (likely because the French helped and we inherited a few French muskets).  I have rambled a little bit because I am kind of jealous as I think I would really like a 69.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »
.677" is exactly 15 gauge - 466.7gr. for a round ball that size according to my chart.  for a round ball for that bore, I'd use .650" ball and a .020" denim patch - which would give .0065" compression per side - an easy loading combination with either WW or pure lead balls.

You can get the proper sized wads from Track - they list the sizes of the wads.  Your barrel size is almost identical to my brothers Manton 15 bore - his is .675" & I think he bought 15 bore wads, which measure slightly oversize at around .680", which is perfect for the 15 bore.

His gun is cylinder bored same as yours will be - best load for us is about 70gr.2F and 1 oz. shot.  Hard card on powder, then 1/2 cushion, shot, and thin overshot wad.

swordmanjohn

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:51:09 AM »
Thanks for the info ,..ill try to post pictures of it in a few weeks after I get it.
Barrel lenght will be 44 1/2 inch which is considerably longer than anything ive owned.  :o

tg

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:37:55 PM »
You will get used to the long barrel rather quickly I suspect, I did, and most others I have talked to did as well.