General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

10ga range results

(1/2) > >>

smallpatch:

OK, took the new 10ga NE Fowler to the range.... couldn't be more pleased with the results

First two shots out of the barrel, touching @ POA @ 25 yards

Great shot patterns @ 25yards and 50 yards.

Can't wait to try some #4 and #2 shot.

What do ya think??

northmn:
Smooth bores are fun aren't they.  I like the big ones better than the little ones but I bet the round ball got your attention.  They are meat guns pure and simple.  One way I have used to attain a limited shot for testing is through breaking open modern shells.  Have done so to get Bismuth and odd size lead to try.  Have a box of chilled 4's I am going to do that with as I do not shoot that load in a modern gun.

DP

AJ:
I have a suggestion to improve your pattern density.

When I was patterning my 16 gauge trade gun I first use 75 grs 3FFF,3 overshot cards, felt wad, overshot card, 1 3/8 ozs copper plated #5,over shot card. My test target was at 20 yds. The image below was the results.

I then added Jiffy corn-meal muffin mix as a buffer for the second target. Since I didn't have any other turkey targets I use an 8" splatter target at 20 yds. Picture two shows the results.

Granted 20 yds is close but, I needed to start somewhere. What I need to do is continue to increase my range until the pattern is no longer acceptable. Unfortunitly work and family has taken a major amount of my time. I will post my newest results as time permits.

I used muffin mix not just straight corn meal; it has added fats that is not in plain corn meal. It has a stickier consistency. Not knowing how much to use I took clear plastic tube punched a hole in the bottom. I placed an overshot card in the bottom, added the shot, then started with the corn meal muffin mix. I added a little at a time and tap the sides of the container to get the mix to filter down. I used a LEE dipper don't remember the amount I'll check when I get home. I continued this until the mix surrounded the shot. It takes quite a while to get the muffin mix to filter down around the shot. I then placed another overshot card in the tube, placed it on top of the barrel and used a small dowel rod to get everthing in the barrel. With a range rod I seated the whole thing. I plan to use this same concept for loading in the field, it may not be PC but......

The gun shot a little left but that is easily fixed. I was just concerned with pattern density.

smallpatch:
AJ,

It looks good, but one question.... did you seat the whole thing, INCLUDING the plastic tube???

AJ:
No, I just used the plastic container to watch how the corn meal muffin mix would filter around the shot.  I then use a dowel through the bottom of the tube to transfer the shot column into the barrel.  I realize it is a long process, but, for turkey hunting I figured I would only have one shot so try to make it the best I can.

I did have some good results with "paper shot cups", but once in a while one would not open and I would have a slug going down range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version