Author Topic: New lock in the house............  (Read 3925 times)

kaintuck

New lock in the house............
« on: February 28, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »
This was in my mail yesterday.......  :o

When i was contemplating doing a Christian Spring build(It's Ken Moors fault~his were so beautiful!!)....it finalized at the last CLA show, when I picked up my stock and BP & TG from Dave Keck. The down from his booth was a better looking vendor 8) ~ Barbie Chambers....we talked about this build, and she suggested to use a brass lock.....well, I am very pleased!
I will polish it some, and have a few accent lines engraved on it~
So Jim and Barbie~ thanks!...it will be a special build....54cal colerain barrel, a hard piece of silver maple from senior~dunlop.....and Dave C did a RR tip end.... :)
so tomtom move over...I'm getting back in the shop!!!  ;)
marc an tomtom

Offline bob in the woods

Re: New lock in the house............
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
Very very nice.  I've used that same lock, and am extremely happy with it. BTW, are you sure the stock is silver maple?  I've never seen a hard s. m. piece of wood. Maybe sugar maple ?

kaintuck

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:54:48 PM »
Very very nice.  I've used that same lock, and am extremely happy with it. BTW, are you sure the stock is silver maple?  I've never seen a hard s. m. piece of wood. Maybe sugar maple ?

Yup.... ;D senior said it was had enuff....and Dave gave it a thumbs up......so here we are with a different bit of everything......let's see what comes out~~~~~~

;D

Marc n tomtom

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »
   These are handsome locks without a doubt. I have one that I ordered from Jim and Barbie a couple of years ago with a bronze pan and steel lockplate. Haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking a very early longrifle. Now, if I could only discover to a certainty what the earliest ones looked like!
                                         Dan

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 12:52:33 AM »
Just curious,are there any existing period arms with a brass/bronze lock plate? :)
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:06:36 AM »
Just curious,are there any existing period arms with a brass/bronze lock plate? :)

Dunno about rifles, but here is a picture of a smoothbore I stole off of some auction site in years past:

Ten-bore ducking piece by Robert Sharpe, c. 1700, according to my caption.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 06:58:58 AM »
Pardon the poor photography and the camera strap in the way!   :D

German rifle, around 1690-1700.  Brass lock and barrel.

By the way, the barrel has about a gazillion "V" grooves for rifling.

I've seen brass locked European rifles, pistols, and smoothbores of all kinds.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 07:47:46 AM »

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West