Author Topic: "Dulling" a Permayln finish?  (Read 14361 times)

PKLeRay

"Dulling" a Permayln finish?
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »
I would like to decrease the shininess Of Permayln.  Peter Alexander recommends a final rub with boiled linseed oil but I cannot stand the stuff. Any other ways?

Offline Ray Barbarow

• Starting Member
Re: "Dulling" a Permayln finish?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:04:30 PM »
Just did this on Sat. using 0000 steel wool.

PKLeRay

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:48:53 PM »
Isn't that too dull?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 05:21:24 PM »
I have used 0000 steel wool in the past to dull a finish, applied a good past wax afterward and it gives it a nice soft finish. Today, if I am going to dull it down I use pumice stone and a paraffin oil to knock down the shine, even using a tooth brush to dull it down in tight spots around carving and again finishing with a good paste wax. It is a lot less harsh than steel wool.
After experimenting with making my own finishes with information I received 'here' and there, I found that all old time finishes dry to a fairly hard glassy look, so mostly I leave them that way and let the natural handling and cleaning take its course. It doesn't take long for it to soften down.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Turtle

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »
   I rub it with mink oil on fine steel wool. makes a "buttery" finish that I prefer.
                                                        Turtle

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
I would like to decrease the shininess Of Permayln.  Peter Alexander recommends a final rub with boiled linseed oil but I cannot stand the stuff. Any other ways?

Since you already have the stuff on the gun I suspect that 0000 steel wool will work but I would wet it with something like  hardware store boiled linseed oil (its not stock finish but will work to ease your labor and is then all wiped away). But rubbing back stained stocks is usually a mistake. Its all to likely that the stain will be eroded at the edges and elsewhere.

If you search through the older posts on the site you will find a considerable number of posts on stock finishes. A great many are in the "newer is better" category and some others in the "eye of Newt and frog eyelashes" category but there are some posts on how firearms were finished back in the day. For the most part "old" is far less labor intensive than "new and improved" or "eye of Newt".  When you use a modern high mineral spirits solvent content finish (60-70% solvent in this case) that is almost all or is all plastic once the solvent has evaporated then the user will after many coats, predictably, get a gun that looks like it was finished with plastic. If it's supposed to be "waterproof" it's almost sure to fail in some manner if the gun is actually used outdoors.
I would also point out that a even a fairly dull elastic linseed oil varnish  finish will "shine" just from handling. Varnish is intended to produce a shiny finish at some level after all. Note that back in the day "varnish" meant that the finish dried to a shine, some were oil based and some were spirit based such as Shellac.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »
Get yourself some "rottenstone" it is a fine powder used to rub back gloss finishes. Mix it with water or mineral oil to a loose past then rub it on the stock as if polishing the stock -- CAUTION - don't rub too hard or in one spot too long it will remove the finish before you know it. Do 5 or 6 strokes wipe off and see if this is the look you want if so continue on the rest of the stock - apply a paste wax when done.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »
As P.W. described...  I use paraffin oil from Woodcraft, sprinkle on some rottenstone, or fine pumice stone, and rub out with a felt pad.  If you have carving on the gun, use an old tooth brush instead of the felt pad to get into all the nooks & cranny's of the carving.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 08:07:56 PM »
 I have tried all the above. In my opinion the rottenstone works well but it is a lot of work. Like Dan I do not recommend using steel wool on stained maple stocks. It causes more problems. This is what I do and it works to help give a matte finish to the oil. It work with any oil finish. I let the previous finish dry first.  Take a piece of wood like similar to the stock you are finishing. If possible use the same wood as the stock.
  Sand it with some 600 grit or 1000 grit wet and dry in order to make a small amount of very fine dust.
 When you apply the oil to the stock with your finger just touch or dip your finger in the dust. This very fine dust will mix with the oil and give the finish a matte  look. With a small amount of practice you will be able to perfect this technique into a very nice finish. There will be no need to do any steel wooling or any thing else. You will not be able to see the dust in the oil.
   if you have ever used Tung oil from the hardware store notice tha the directions say shake well before using. It also has a slight whitish look.  That white tint is flattener. You can buy flattener on the web but only in large quantities. The dust does the same thing. I have also used silicone dioxide powder but it makes the finish look opaque. LOL  no charge.  
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

PKLeRay

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:55:48 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys. I have some experiment pieces of maple I will use. I'll start with the paraffin and rottenstone first. Oh and I'll post  some pictures of the finishrd gun. It's a fusil boucanier with a 48" bbl and curly maple stock.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 10:33:18 PM »
Although I've used rottenstone at times, I prefer fine pumice.  The rottenstone is so fine, that it really doesn't do a great deal in my experience.

Jim

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »
Thanks, Jerry!  Never heard of that before, will have to give it a try...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 05:05:47 AM »
Thanks, Jerry!  Never heard of that before, will have to give it a try...

Ed
That is what is on this gun and a lot of the others on my website.
 http://jwh-flintlocks.net/jerry-2015-2.jpg
Bad photo I think.

Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 05:28:31 AM »
Absolutely beautiful, on many levels...  and really like that finish!  Thanks for the photo!

Ed
Ed Wenger

PKLeRay

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
Although I've used rottenstone at times, I prefer fine pumice.  The rottenstone is so fine, that it really doesn't do a great deal in my experience.

Jim
Thanks for the advice Jim. I will purchase both and play with them

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 09:04:38 AM »
Rottenstone is a POLISH and will usually brighten a dull finish. I would not use it to dull a finish. I used to use it as final polish on a finished Walnut stock.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »
The sanding dust thing is interesting.
Never thought of that.

Dan

Offline wmrike

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 07:15:38 PM »
The problem I've always had with the steel wool business and other abrasive techniques is that 1) at some level it removes finish, and 2) with use, the finish just polishes out again.  Anyone else?

Turtle

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »
No disrespect to you more experienced guys, but I'm curious why steel wool/mink oil shouldn't be used on Permlyn  finished maple stocks? Why just maple? I have done this dozens of times over the years with no problems.
                                           Turtle

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 10:33:48 PM »
Birch Wood Casey rubbing compound used as directed works very good for me.

eddillon

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »
Have you tried a rottenstone/mineral oil paste rubbed with a felt block?  I use this method to knock down gloss and also to give a nice final finish for metal parts that are going to be left "in the white".

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »
No disrespect to you more experienced guys, but I'm curious why steel wool/mink oil shouldn't be used on Permlyn  finished maple stocks? Why just maple? I have done this dozens of times over the years with no problems.
                                           Turtle

For the reasons I stated.
Reposting would be pointless.

Dan

eddillon

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 08:32:44 PM »
Rottenstone is a POLISH and will usually brighten a dull finish. I would not use it to dull a finish. I used to use it as final polish on a finished Walnut stock.

Dan

It sure knocks back a glossy shine for me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 11:02:06 PM »
Get yourself some "rottenstone" it is a fine powder used to rub back gloss finishes. Mix it with water or mineral oil to a loose past then rub it on the stock as if polishing the stock -- CAUTION - don't rub too hard or in one spot too long it will remove the finish before you know it. Do 5 or 6 strokes wipe off and see if this is the look you want if so continue on the rest of the stock - apply a paste wax when done.

good suggestion - this is what I use - rotten-stone - ground, almost dust-fine pumice- feels very soft and does a fine job without scratches. I use it dry on flannelette patch- easy to control and wipe off- an air compressor also works wonders in carving for removing the powder.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »
All this is way to much work.

Never use anything on a rag. You'll get super dull and nothing. It looks awfull.

You can use 4-0 steel wool between coats, but not to finish. Carefull. l

Use either fine pumice and oil or rottenstone and oil on a toothbrush. Scrub it and wipe it off with a soft  teeshirt. The pumice is more aggressive and thus duller. I use rottenstone most of the time. Using water instead of the oil is even more aggressive. Just never use a rag to apply it. Tooth brush or any stiff brush.

Finally finish with one last coat that is wiped off or a little wax.