Author Topic: My Last 28 gauge  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
My Last 28 gauge
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:41:03 PM »
I've made a few of these and painted a couple of them red before. I also painted one yellow. I was going to keep the yellow one but a fella in Utah wanted it more than I did. I wanted one for my own use so I made this last one. It's also the last .56 caliber barrel I had that Salvo made.

Anyway, for your consideration:
48 3/8" long Oct. to Rnd. barrel, Chambers Early English lock, painted cherry stock with 1/4" cast off, sheet brass parts.

[img ]http://[/img]

[img ][/img]

[img ][/img]

[img ][/img]

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:08:54 PM by Keb »

Offline Elnathan

Re: My Last 28 gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:09:19 AM »
Not too shabby. Is it based off the one in the Dresslar collection?

I saw this one posted a couple days ago and was going to suggest that the trigger and triggerguard looked a little bit exaggerated from the original - it is big but not that  big - but it seemed to disappear before I got around to it. Don't know if that is something you could alter now, but with a surface mounted trigger guard and a painted stock, it might be possible if you are looking for ways to improve it.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:16:34 AM »
Keb--milk paint?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:16:39 PM »
That's the kind of firearm I would love to own.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
Nice job Keb. How many guns do you build a week? ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:17 PM »
Keb--milk paint?
The stock is painted with a paint that is mixed with a powder & water. It's sold under the name of  Old Fashioned Milk Paint but I don't know if there is a lick of milk in it. It's very durable, goes on easy and clean up is simple. This is the 5th gun I've painted with it and I will paint others I make with it even if it is not historically correct. It's my understanding the originals were painted with an oil based paint.

Nice job Keb. How many guns do you build a week? ;D
One too many. :)

Not too shabby. Is it based off the one in the Dresslar collection?

I saw this one posted a couple days ago and was going to suggest that the trigger and triggerguard looked a little bit exaggerated from the original - it is big but not that  big - but it seemed to disappear before I got around to it. Don't know if that is something you could alter now, but with a surface mounted trigger guard and a painted stock, it might be possible if you are looking for ways to improve it.
I am not familiar with Mr. Dresslar or his collection so this one is not based on the one you are citing. However, thanks for your critique of the trigger guard shape. I guess it could be changed but I'm satisfied with it as it is. I removed the other thread on this gun before it was finished. I'm just not in the same league as others who post their build progress. I'm just a poor Michigan dirt farmer that resides in Ohio. :)

That's the kind of firearm I would love to own.
There are many builders out there that would be happy to build you a much nicer one, I'm sure. They need the work. I don't.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »
I am not familiar with Mr. Dresslar or his collection so this one is not based on the one you are citing. However, thanks for your critique of the trigger guard shape. I guess it could be changed but I'm satisfied with it as it is. I removed the other thread on this gun before it was finished. I'm just not in the same league as others who post their build progress. I'm just a poor Michigan dirt farmer that resides in Ohio. Smiley

There is a picture in Grinslade's book on fowlers, page 31. I've got some other pics on my computer, but none that show the overall shape well.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 11:40:02 PM »
I am familiar with that gun but only from the picture in that book. I didn't make the connection with just the owner's name. Actually, I patterned this one's butt plate heel from that gun only because it's simple. I actually think my guard is smaller but has a different radius on the bow. I suppose a quick whack with a mallet would change that. However, I did have difficulty positioning the guard. The fella that does my barrel inletting thinks it's funny to cut a lot more wood away in the wrist area than I would like him to do thus making me put more drop in it than I would like.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 05:18:48 PM »
Nice job Keb.

Offline little joe

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
In reference to the Dressler collection, Mr Dressler passed away a few years ago and my understanding is the Indiana State Museum built a permenant display of it.