Author Topic: "Antique" East Tennessee Squirrel Rifle  (Read 24240 times)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: "Antique" East Tennessee Squirrel Rifle
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 06:14:52 AM »
Bart, I agree that for the next GM barrel I use I'll cut the muzzle back slightly and recrown it.  The muzzle and the non-buggered screw heads are the biggest tells in my opinion.  I finished a Lehigh barn gun lately, even though photos are up on my site, I'm still playing with the aging.  I'll share more of that one in a few weeks. 

David - The chicken house would antique it wonderfully!  In the 60s, there was a furniture maker contracted to build an exact set of an 18th century French chairs.  In order to make the wood have the same appearance as 200 year old pieces, he rough cut all the parts, then buried them in wet horse manure for several months.  The acids and other bits in in the manure permeated the wood so that when he did final shaping, the wood had the right color and patina! 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Longshot

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »
Eric-
....'believable texture in wood and steel', for sure!!
The proportion and grace in the profile of this rifle are candy for the eyes.  As for the finish; it reflects just how dangerous your skill-set has become.
Salute!

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »
It is excellent. You really have "the touch".
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 03:22:14 PM »
What's not to like? Excellent work.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Mike R

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
A really really nice rifle!  But like I think has been said, the tip-off to me was the lack of screw damage and the too crisp appearance of the bore at the muzzle--even a well cared for MLer would have wear around the crown area if shot a lot [not that I would want a new one to have it!]...but nice job. Erosion around the touchhole is another thing that I would look for...

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
On Kettenburg's rifles, the crispness of the rifling is the sure give-away. Great job, Eric. Your photography is excellent, too.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 05:55:21 PM »
David - The chicken house would antique it wonderfully!  In the 60s, there was a furniture maker contracted to build an exact set of an 18th century French chairs.  In order to make the wood have the same appearance as 200 year old pieces, he rough cut all the parts, then buried them in wet horse manure for several months.  The acids and other bits in in the manure permeated the wood so that when he did final shaping, the wood had the right color and patina!  
-Eric
I got a pile of horse manure as well.  I can see it now, rough hewn a curly maple blank, bury it in the manure pile for a month or two, pull the stock out, hose it off and inlet all the parts that have been hanging in the chicken house.  This madness gives a whole new meaning to the term "Barn Gun".  ;D  But I digress, sorta.
David
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:56:50 PM by David Rase »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 06:16:15 PM »
I like it, Eric.  Real nice job.

Jim

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
Oh very nice Eric.  I like it and look forward to seeing it again when you finish the aging! 
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline blienemann

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »
Have always had a soft spot for smr's, and for any long, slim rifle with great lines.  Very few of the old ones live up to the look and feel of this one.  Ambrose Lawing and a few others come to mind.

There should be a giveaway or two, and a name and year placed proudly on the barrel, or we cross that line from warm with a story to fake and fraud - someday.

I think it was Wallace who suggested that a rifle look good from 6 feet, but at 6" honesty should set in.  Thanks for sharing another fine rifle with us.   

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 08:21:09 PM »
Bart, I agree that for the next GM barrel I use I'll cut the muzzle back slightly and recrown it.  The muzzle and the non-buggered screw heads are the biggest tells in my opinion.  I finished a Lehigh barn gun lately, even though photos are up on my site, I'm still playing with the aging.  I'll share more of that one in a few weeks.   
-Eric

Eric, here are some pictures of a barrel I aged along with some other details

It helps to have some old original barrels on hand to get a feel for old barrels. The screw heads on the rifle are the same, but I turned one down, toolk any sharp edges off the head, crunched the side with a pair of pliers, hammerd on them with a hammer. Both started as trhe same in profile, but each one ended up looking different. The barrel is a Colrain and I trimmed off three and a half inches, filed the end as best I could and used a nail set to put in the circles around the face of the barrel.

The barrel was aged in this fashion: I draw filed the barrel, then I filed the edges of the flats, then I used a palm sander and sanded down the barrel. Sometimes I use a small hammer to dent the edges of the flats, I then applied cold blue, hung the barrel upside down on a fence (not sure if the fence adds anything, but I have one so I use it) and in about four days it was rusty. I ioled the barrel and caarded (gently) with 0000 steel wool. I made sure that any engraving (my name) was installed befor I started the aging process. As time goes on the barrel will take on a better patina.

I'm not sure oif this is the 'correct' way to do this, but it's what I do, as I have not had anybody teach or show me the 'correct' way to do this (if there is such a thing as a correct way)

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »
Very nice! Beautiful work!

~Tony

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 02:13:09 AM »
I get my chops busted for not buggering screw slots too. But,in my opinion if you're actually going to use the gun there is nothing more aggravating than a buggered lock screw slot when you're trying to take off the lock to clean the gun. Just one of my little annoying things in my life. Now, If a customer wanted buggered slots it's not a big deal. I guess I assume if they will be shot they ought to have functional screw heads. Some compromise has to be made....or maybe not?
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 02:17:23 AM »
I get my chops busted for not buggering screw slots too. But,in my opinion if you're actually going to use the gun there is nothing more aggravating than a buggered lock screw slot when you're trying to take off the lock to clean the gun. Just one of my little annoying things in my life. Now, If a customer wanted buggered slots it's not a big deal. I guess I assume if they will be shot they ought to have functional screw heads. Some compromise has to be made....or maybe not?

I wouldn't wallow 'em out much, just can't leave 'em perfect.

See, what a fella ought do is make special bugger-headed screws-drivers!  Or include them with the buggerheaded guns. :P

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:18:59 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 05:13:52 AM »
Next one, maybe I'll hang it up between two posts in my chicken house and let the things roost on it for a week .
It would pick up patina and scratches  :)   Instead of the Woodbury School, and clorox,  we could start a Barn School
 ;D ;D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 03:42:43 PM »
Next one, maybe I'll hang it up between two posts in my chicken house and let the things roost on it for a week .
It would pick up patina and scratches  :)   Instead of the Woodbury School, and clorox,  we could start a Barn School
 ;D ;D
Would be the "coop" school.....much different than barn guns. Imagine cheeking your gun with the ever present aroma of chicken shitzen. :P Not that the smell of chicken shitzen is anything unusual for me. ;D

JB2

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 08:35:50 PM »
 :D  Don't make me laff so much guys, my guts ain't over their bout with c. diff yet!  OW!

Durn purty gun there, Eric, but since it's imperfectly perfect in a couple spots, you can send it up here for a couple weeks.  Hey, just trying to help out ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »
That's a fine rifle and I like it; wouldn't mind owning it, one bit!  Ever thought about rolling the stock and barrel around in gravel?  That is sure to give patterns of random gentle abuse.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:05 AM »
Oh boy - the "coop school", we've all got cabin fever!

Gaeckle - I don't think there is a "correct" way to age anything - and every gun is different, its own unique process and experiment.  I've found it is easy to beat up a new barrel and make it look old and rusty, but very difficult to get modern barrel steels to take rust and shine to have the same appearance as an old wrought barrel. 

The rifle was built to sell, but then my dad saw photos of it and wouldn't stop asking me questions about it... It became his birthday gift this year.  I'll definitely be building more along these lines, they're fun and very different from Pennsylvania guns!  As soon as I get my dad out shooting it, the screw holes will get buggered up in their own time.  Compromise on the aging must be made somewhere - for me it is the muzzle and the bore - they're meant to be shot, and a wallowed up muzzle isn't going to be accurate.  Still, now that I'm looking at the photo of the muzzle I wish I'd cut off that lathe turned end, haha!  I'll have plenty of restoration work in time where I can rust and destroy the muzzle end of a stretched barrel. 
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »
Clearly a cool rifle. The stress cracks add to the effect, not detract from it. As for un-buggered screws, you could sat that the heads were heavily case hardened. Which is a good idea today.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »
I am glad your dad is getting it.  Great placement for a fine rifle. It also ends the question of which of us was going to buy it. ;-)
Best wishes, Marc

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »

Let me take the lock off once I'm sure to booger the screws up anyway
Very nice gun!

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
You guys are behind a few years on the coop school, anyone who was in Ron Griffey's shop knows what I mean.  But add cat urine, gotta have the added essence of cat urine.   ;)
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline JDK

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »
Both cat urine and chicken schitzen are loaded with ammonia.  Should neutralize any remaining acidity in you aqua fortis or browning formulas. ;)

Two birds, as they say.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »
Hmm.......... I often wondered if attic guns turned so black because of all the ammonia etc. from roof rats living in the attic............. Some old ...or even new attics you better wear a gas mask when you enter!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming