Author Topic: Stock question  (Read 6224 times)

greenchile

Stock question
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:51:49 AM »
All,

Looking for a Good source for stock blank who have you had good experience working with???

Thanks,

Greenville

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Re: Stock question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:03:23 AM »
Michael Barton at Tiger Hunt   http://gunstockwood.com/

dan55

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:34:33 AM »
Dunlap Woodcrafts.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 04:42:04 AM »
+1 for Dunlap
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:44:54 PM »
Dunlap of course. I have bought several hundred stocks from him in the last 30 years, never disappointed.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:07:10 PM »
One more for Wayne Dunlap and check into buying three and getting a check into getting three for a discount.
25% discount for any three or more rifle blanks or 3 or more pistol blanks per order.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 09:17:45 PM »
I have bought from both Daniel at Dunlap and Michael at Tiger Hunt.  Prices are comparable, both have some real winner pieces.  The only time I ordered a blank over the phone I was disappointed, so now I only buy at the shows, even if I don't have an immediate project in mind.  I'm wondering if y'all who do order over the phone are able to get photos of a few different options now?  
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »
I've found talking with Daniel at Dunlap is good if you can tell him what your doing, how hard for carving how much figure (in butt, forearm) how thick or thin wrist or butt will end up how long a barrel channel you need. In person is best but having someone who can translate your needs with "their" expertise is very helpful.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline little joe

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 09:53:43 PM »
Sweeny here on the board.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 04:18:59 AM »
All my wood comes from either Dunlap or Harrison.    I live close enough to Dunlap to go sift through the pile of stock blanks, so I really don't take advantage of any service.  The wood is a good value, though.   I do have to rely on Nathan's help to buy blanks from Harrison Sawmill in western TN.   I only buy the very best (most expensive)   wood from Harrison.   Nathan is very accommodating and makes buying the best wood as easy as possible.   You e-mall him with what you want and e-mails you back with photos of a selction from which to choose.

greenchile

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 04:52:48 AM »
Thanks for the responses Tiger Hunt would be a reasonable drive for me, is there a retail store or strictly shows and mail order?

GREENCHILE

54Bucks

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 02:45:59 AM »
 I'de keep Mark Wheland (Williamsburg,Pa.) in mind. He could not only provide a good blank, he could also inlet them for your barrel and drill the RR hole for an additional $75.00 He's only about 50 miles fro Mike Barton/Tiger Hunt (Ebensburg Pa.).

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 03:35:53 AM »
If you want wood suitable for a gun stock,  you are going to have to go to somebody that cuts the tree with gunstocks in mind.  This lets out all the folks that primarily produce lumber for furniture and home construction.   Only the bottom six feet of the tree, the stump, are good for gun stocks.   Most lumber cutters leave this in the ground.  You see, the grain needs to run through the wrist (parallel with the wrist).    You can only get this where the grains turns to flow out towards the edges of the stump.   The best wood is quarter-sawn (trunk quartered relative to the center) and stump cut.   This should be considered a minimum qualification for a top quality gun stock.   You then add figure on top of that. 

Most stock wood is actually slab cut (all wood slabbed off the trunk in the same direction).   You have to evaluate slab cut wood very carefully.  I will only buy red (softer) maple that is slab cut because red maple is generally pretty stable.   For sugar (hard) maple,  I will only buy quarter sawn because it all warps and you want it to warp up and down, not left and right.   Red maple also warps; it just tends to not warp as much.   You still want to look at how the grain runs through the wrist; no matter how the wood is cut.

There are two things that follow from the cut of the wood; those are the direction of the warping of the forearm, and the sides were the figure are most visible.   Quarter-sawn lumber has the growth runs running horizontally through the cross-section of the stock blank.   This results in quarter-sawn lumber warping up and down, and in the figure being most visible on the sides of the stock.    You see, wood warps perpendicular to the growth rings.   The figure, if any, is, likewise,  most visible perpendicular to the flow of the growth rings.   

With slab cut wood,  the growth rings run vertically through the stock.   Given that the wood warps perpendicular to the plane of the growth rings , that means that the forearm warps left and right.  as it is harder to correct aim for windage as opposed to elevation; you don't want a slab cut stock in a wood that tends to warp more.   Walnut is a very stable wood and is not a big problem being used in a slab cut gun stock blank as long as the grains runs through the wrist.  Lastly,  in a slab cut gun stock with figure, the figure is going to be most visible along the top and bottom.   

If you can't see the grain (end grain or otherwise)  clearly,  you can judge the cut of the wood and how the grain runs through the wrist by looking at where the curl shows the most and whether the curl is perpendicular to the long axis of the stock.   Curl should always be perpendicular to the center line of the wrist.   

I hope this helps with your wood selection.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 04:28:39 AM »
Thanks for the responses Tiger Hunt would be a reasonable drive for me, is there a retail store or strictly shows and mail order?

GREENCHILE

I think that I initially misunderstood your question.   Michael Barton does not have store.  he does have a web  site and you can call him.   Dunlap has a warehouse in Chantilly, VA (a stones throw from Dulles).  You can visit, order online, or call him.   If you want to buy wood from Nathan Cox (harrisonsawmill@gmail.com, 731-414-9757) at Harrison Sawmill,  you will have to call or e-mail.    I have been very happy buying from Nathan via e-mail.  I call with my credit card number.

deertracker

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 04:52:43 AM »
Mark, Thank you for that concise, well written explanation of wood grain orientation relative to gun stock blanks. Wonderful!

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 04:59:40 AM »
Mark, Thank you for that concise, well written explanation of wood grain orientation relative to gun stock blanks. Wonderful!

I guess that was the right answer to the wrong question.  I am glad you enjoyed it.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:11:52 AM by Ky-Flinter »