Author Topic: Julia upcoming auction  (Read 4379 times)

eddillon

Julia upcoming auction
« on: March 07, 2015, 03:14:56 AM »
For all of those who are interested, the preview is coming.  For those who want to scroll through some wonderful firearms, here is the link where you can scroll through the whole auction.  Wow!
http://jamesdjulia.com/373_shs/

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Julia upcoming auction
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 06:14:15 AM »
In session 1, you must scroll to the bottom of the page and there are several dozen classic flintlock rifles and fowlers up for auction.  Some real eye candy for study!  

http://jamesdjulia.com/auction/373-march-2015-firearms-auction-tradition-continues/?session=1

-Eric
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:15:45 AM by E.vonAschwege »
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »
Deja Vu ;)
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

oakridge

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 06:47:45 AM »

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
Perhaps I'm out of the loop, but I know that a great number of these pieces were at the last auction and I thought I recalled seeing they were sold... why are so many back up for sale? 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 08:02:42 PM »
I wondered the same thing, the John Amos rifle sold at the last auction and here it is again. You would think the 2 parties involved would consider waiting a while before scheduling a rerun of a bad episode. Bad for collectors, good for buyers looking to get into something for cheap
Buck

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
This entire fiasco hasn't done the collecting community any good, but the guy I really feel sorry for is Sirkin, for trusting a guy too much and getting a major shafting in return!
John
John Robbins

Offline HIB

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 08:20:21 PM »
Gentlemen,  The guns in question above are not necessarily up for re-sale by the suggested original buyer. They were either 'bought-in' by the auction house at the initial sale when they didn't meet the seller's reserve or they were found to be inaccurately cataloged and returned by an unsatisfied or deceived buyer. The operating word here is 'deceived'. It is also possible they were not paid for within the required time frame.

Most honorable auction houses will accept a 'deceived' return, within reason, and then at the instruction of the seller re-enter the item in a future auction with an amended description and sometimes at a lower estimated value. The buyer, in all cases, must be aware of the auction house' terms and it is required by the auction house to disclose those terms. 'Guaranteed Descriptions', 'No Reserve Auction' and 'As Is - Where Is' are three of the major understandings the buyer must be aware of. There are others to consider as well [shipping expense, sales tax, tarifs etc.]

There are many arguments for and against placing an item in an auction with a reserve. The reserve actually protects the seller's interest and investment, however, when the investment is higher than the actual value the reserve backfires and the gun is bought in. When this happens the item is often times listed as sold by the internet co. monitoring the sale as they are not privy to the reserve and may actually think the item sold for the hammer price. If, however, the auction co. publishes a 'sales price list' showing the item sold then you are dealing with a different set of circumstances.

The fact the majority of these guns have reappeared is due to any one of the circumstances listed above. The only way to get a handle on what actually happened is to compare the original description and estimate to what is listed now.

It goes, without saying, the buyer's knowledge of the market, coupled with a good review of past and current information regarding an object of interest is paramount.

There is room in the ALR library for an 'Auction Buying' tutorial, however, the best advice for a new player is to have an experienced mentor along side during the auction preview and then the discipline to follow a plan. And don't forget the 'Buyers Premium'.

Remember; the actual cost of the item = Hammer price + Buyer's Premium + the expense of getting to the auction site and any shipping and sales tax additions.

It is definitely a 'Buyer Beware' world.  Regards, HIB

eddillon

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 08:23:46 PM »
That is why, for me, just looking is enjoyable.  Great photography of great guns.  I'll stick to buying at small local sales that have rational prices.  Can't help but think that there is a lot of buyers remorse when items are "sold" at ungodly prices.  I haven't read the Julia return policy.  It will be interesting to see how much less they go for this time around.  Yes it is an affront to the collecting community and a sad day for Dr. Sirkin.  He has waited a long time for his ROI.  I think HIB said it well.  Hopefully Dr. Sirkin got his funds on the first sale.  Second sale is probably the auction house recouping the refund to the "buyer".  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:28:10 PM by aka california eddillon »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 12:57:07 AM »
Buyers/ Sellers Tutorial. Good idea Henry. Will start with your piece in this thread and try to find others in archives( there have been a few before that I can recall) . Inviting all with advice to add yours to this thread.
Hurricane