Author Topic: Stapleton 100927-3  (Read 5926 times)

Offline nord

Stapleton 100927-3
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:52:38 PM »

Comments:

This is a deceiving rifle in that it appears to have been shortened at some time in its working life. I suspect not; on closer examination, the gun has a very large barrel and is a really good example of a Huntingdon beef shoot or chunk gun. If it had what is normally considered to be a standard barrel of over 40 inches, it would take great effort to hold it on target in shooting, for long. Gun is in wonderful condition and while it is not the showiest of Stapleton's work it is nonetheless, beautifully and finely made. It belongs in the Library. Some data on the gun would be helpful; e.g. barrel length OA length, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never been a fan of Huntington County rifles, but with that said, I know there are many people who study and collect them.  At first glance it does appear that the barrel has been shortened because of the placement of the ram rod pipes, but the comments about the heavy barrel make sense as well, I suppose without handling it and looking at the barrel keys, it's hard to be absolutely certain.  Anyhow, aside from the barrel, this appears to be a clean little rifle with nicely done  engraving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I definitely think the barrel has been shortened.... based on odd position of last pipe, and the muzzle shot that doesn't show the expected graduation of forestock into the muzzle cap. This is a good rifle for an example of Stapleton's work in the museum, with its nicely engraved and shaped patchbox which is distinctive and educational.  I just wish we could get a couple of simple "suggested" guidelines for photography (not ironclad rules, Mr. Nord, just helpful suggestions) so we could avoid these crazy backgrounds we've been getting on a couple of the recent guns. Guns are clear, but these mottled, many colored, jigsaw puzzle backgrounds are distracting... or maybe it's just the caffeine talking.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:24:45 PM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.