Author Topic: swiss/moravain/christian spring rifle..........  (Read 5977 times)

kaintuck

swiss/moravain/christian spring rifle..........
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »
Friends...it FINALLY thawed out here in tenn.........so, shop time!!!  ;D

this is a BEAST of a rifle~ she has different aspects than the Lancasters and SMR I have done....basically I have to leave ON wood~but here are some places I'm working on:

lock panels......

Tang/barrel area:

The WONDERFUL hand made RASP a dear friend gave me is INVALUABLE!!~

great brass parts and stuff from that Barbie and Dave~

Ever present "armpierceing at will you play with me kat"...tomtom..... ;D

I took these last afternoon...I have the fat ol tang inletted now, bent to profile, and will file it to wrist shape~ leaving a small 'hump' behind the tang as I think it looks right on these beastie rifles... :'(
There will be a 'step wrist' on her, and I have yet to visualize, but have cut it in, and am currently working the TG into the stock, at the SAME TIME working the trigger and plate in~
I want thank Ken Moor and Allen martin for helping with this rifle, it's a work in progress......and i am over my head with it!.....I would NOT recommend a Swiss/Christian Spring/Moravain rifle as 1st rifle to build......I want to 'run home to momma' and go back to the SMR's........but I have started it, and will try to finish it............................... ::) :P
marc n tomtom

Offline wattlebuster

Re: swiss/moravain/christian spring rifle..........
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
Looks good so far ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »
kaintuck, I suppose you could make this into a "Southern Moravian" rifle! If that would make you feel more comfortable!  :D
Joel Hall

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »
It's always hard to tell with pictures but it looks like the rough shaping is coming along fine.   Make sure you have your trigger and trigger guard laid out before you cut the step.

I get to escape my cat when I go out to the shop, he'd be a pest otherwise!  One year, I did have a baby bluejay and mourning dove living in the shop. They were both blown out of trees one night so Bev and I raised them and let them loose when they were ready.  Talk about pests!  Baby birds are hungry 24 hours a day, and every time they take a step, they leave something behind.  LOL

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:56:42 PM »
It's always hard to tell with pictures but it looks like the rough shaping is coming along fine.   Make sure you have your trigger and trigger guard laid out before you cut the step.

I get to escape my cat when I go out to the shop, he'd be a pest otherwise!  One year, I did have a baby bluejay and mourning dove living in the shop. They were both blown out of trees one night so Bev and I raised them and let them loose when they were ready.  Talk about pests!  Baby birds are hungry 24 hours a day, and every time they take a step, they leave something behind.  LOL
We feed birds and everything else the yard in including night critters.
 The birds express their gratitude by making a LARGE deposit at eye
 level on the windshield of our car.

Bob Roller

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 05:43:08 PM »
Kaintuck, Just athought here. Your lock panel thickness could use a little refinement. I would try to even out the thickness of panel so they are more uniforn around the lock.

I like the brass lock plate, ight have to do that someday.

kaintuck

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:24:06 PM »
Kaintuck, Just athought here. Your lock panel thickness could use a little refinement. I would try to even out the thickness of panel so they are more uniforn around the lock.

I like the brass lock plate, ight have to do that someday.

;D Tom.......your viewing a "baby"........in fact, those panel pics are 2weeks old.....since that photo, the trigger is placed, and trigger area scooped out, step in the wrist cut, and the combed is being laser beamed to final scoop......... :P

And the beast may get a BP today :o
Marc n tomtom

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »
Kaintuck, I was sort of figuring that but sometimes you never know. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 05:59:54 PM »
Looking good so far.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
Hi Marc,
It is looking very good.  I find that on big guns, keeping your lock moldings narrow is a plus. On my latest "big gun" build, I kept them to about 1/8" except front and rear.  Some dimensions on that rifle:

maximum width across lock panels - 1 23/32"
minimum height at wrist - 1 9/16"
minimum width across wrist - 1 13/32"

It is a big gun but you can see that the dimensions are not absurdly large even with the D weight barrel, which is 1 1/8" at the breech.  Good luck Marc.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

kaintuck

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »
smart dog..............she's a beast~ ::)

last night I worked on a side plate to fit that LONG lock.........still need to take wood off that wrist~ :P
I will have to WORK at not removing wood to make a Lancaster/Christian spring~~~

ahahahhahahaaaaaaaa................
marc

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 06:14:45 PM »
These earlier guns didn't carry anymore wood than they needed to. Don't leave any extra wood. The parts are just bigger is all, not really the wood.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

kaintuck

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 11:43:16 PM »
These earlier guns didn't carry anymore wood than they needed to. Don't leave any extra wood. The parts are just bigger is all, not really the wood.

I keep telling my wife EXCACTLY that.......but she just laughs and walks off..........oh~~Mike your talking about guns..... ::)

I know these are 'heavier looking' because of the build......but boy! i'm still just trying to make her right...whew!!!!!!!!!!! :P

marc n tomtom