Author Topic: D throated hammer  (Read 4598 times)

Offline frogwalking

D throated hammer
« on: March 11, 2015, 04:32:58 PM »
Does anyone make a doublethroated hammer that is a good fit for the (new) Chamber's late Ketland lock?  I am getting adventurous in my old age.  Thanks.  (I can file the square hole where it attaches to the tumbler.)
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Gaeckle

Re: D throated hammer
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »
I think the Log Cabin Shop has some.....pretty sure they do.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »
You can buy a late Ketland flint cock and top jaw from  Jerry Devaudreuil in Wooster,Ohio.  He has a lot of Bob Roller's Ketland lock parts from the 70's and 80's.  The throw is exactly the same as the Chambers.  You will have to weld up the square tumbler hole and refile the square to retime the throw.  Here is a picture of the conversion to a lock I made for a Gillespie.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:02:05 PM »
You can buy a late Ketland flint cock and top jaw from  Jerry Devaudreuil in Wooster,Ohio.  He has a lot of Bob Roller's Ketland lock parts from the 70's and 80's.  The throw is exactly the same as the Chambers.  You will have to weld up the square tumbler hole and refile the square to retime the throw.  Here is a picture of the conversion to a lock I made for a Gillespie.

This is a good looking lock and as far as I know,NONE of the
double throat cocks ever failed. Jerry Devaudreuil's phone #
is 1-330-234-4500,it's a cell phone .

Bob Roller

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:37:46 AM »
Each answer beget more questions.  Jim recently modified this lock, making the hammer lighter was, I think, one of the mods. (I love the double-throated hammer shown, by the way.)  I assume the double throated hammer will be considerably heavier.  Could the added weight damage the lock?  Will its additional weight slow the lock in any kind of noticeable manner.  (No I don't flinch when shooting a flintlock.)  I am not good, I'm slow.

Offline David Rase

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:46:02 AM »
I cannot tell any difference in performance in either the stock lock or the modified lock.  I don't think there is enough difference in weight to damage the lock.  I have 3 more double throated hammers and will modify this lock again for two more rifles I have plans for.  A pair of .40's and a .32.
David

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »
I think the double throat adds streangth. Pletch did a presentation of slow motion pics at the Log Cabin and it is amazing how much the cock will flex upon hitting the frizzen. The videos are interesting to say the least.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 05:08:56 AM »
I have contacted Jerry, and it is in the works.  My son can make little bitty welds.  What kind of rod (or wire) should I ask him to use?  Do I need to harden and temper it afterwards?

Offline David Rase

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 06:45:38 AM »
I have contacted Jerry, and it is in the works.  My son can make little bitty welds.  What kind of rod (or wire) should I ask him to use?  Do I need to harden and temper it afterwards?
I just filled mine with mild steel and then color case hardened it.  I think as long as you get a good snug fit you should be okay.  Of course, others on this forum can easily turn this mod into a science project.
David
Make sure you make a template of the original hole location before you weld it shut so you can drill it in the same location.