Author Topic: Staining a stock black  (Read 9079 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Staining a stock black
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:09:48 PM »
I have a project that will be ready for finishing in the next couple of days.  The gun is stocked in a plain piece of hard maple with little to no curl.  I want to make this stock as dark as possible, almost black.  I have used aqua fortis in the past and with enough heat have successfully brought the wood to black or close to it.  I really don't like to heat up and dry out a stock that much to get it to turn black.
I am looking for other methods from you guys to take a maple stock past brown to black or almost black.
David 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Staining a stock black
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Ebonizing.  Tannic acid followed by iron nitrate.  Repeat.  Google "ebonizing and popular woodworking" and I think you'll find a decent article on the subject.  One of my blog posts talks about this as well.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
Another option, though I like Jim's better.
https://generalfinishes.com/professional-waterbase-finishing-products
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daniel

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »
 I have used Tandy leather dye. Not the water based though.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

kaintuck

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 07:41:46 PM »
LEATHER DYE...... ;D
test on a small space 1st tho.....and I use a small rag to apply~ works wonders to 'age' plain cherry~~~~

marc n tomtom

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 07:56:46 PM »
Ebonizing.  Tannic acid followed by iron nitrate.  Repeat.  Google "ebonizing and popular woodworking" and I think you'll find a decent article on the subject.  One of my blog posts talks about this as well.

This is the method i would try.  The leather dyes fade-and you don't want a stock getting lighter as it ages...well I don't.
Hold to the Wind

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 08:12:19 PM »
 While it is usually true that leather dyes fade, all black dyes and paints are made using carbon black. Carbon black dyes or paints do not fade. That said, I would try Jim Kiblers method first. Depends on how black you want. You will not get any blacker than Fiebings USMC black leather dye. May be too black.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:15:09 PM by LRB »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 09:08:04 PM »
Hi David,
Jim Kibler's method works well and will not fade over time.  Depending on the wood and darkness you desire, you may need to repeat the procedure more than once.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

eddillon

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
Logwood?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »
Ebonize it, in my experience few leather dyes are sunlight resistant when applied to wood.

Hungry Horse

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 09:30:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Thank you Jim.  I just read the Popular Woodworking article and decided to give the ebonizing a try.  Ordered me a half pound of quebracho powder to make the tannic bark tea and will wash up some steel wool and get it soaking in some home made vinegar I acquired from Steve Vance.  Looking forward to experimenting and checking out the results. 
David
Rest assured, I have no desire to use leather dye.  It just does not look right to me, regardless of whether it fades or not.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:50:40 PM by David Rase »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 12:33:17 AM »
Logwood?
Technically speaking (not), it's a close cousin to Treewood and in shorter specimens is commonly known as Firewood.
 ;D

Hold to the Wind

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 12:54:02 AM »
Logwood is very fade prone, at least in cloth. It will turn tan in a few weeks of exposure.
Psalms 144

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 06:51:12 AM »
I was asked to darken a Pederosoli Brown Bess that had 'European hardwood", basically a birch. I used aqua fortis, followed up with black oil artist paint that I rubbed into the stock by hand. I let it set for a week, applied dark brown leather dye to take the edge off the harshness of the black (it helped reduce the opaqueness of the paint). I then rubbed back certain areas to give an aged appearence and oiled it up. It looks like old black walnut.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 08:04:48 AM »
 ;D
While it is usually true that leather dyes fade, all black dyes and paints are made using carbon black. Carbon black dyes or paints do not fade. That said, I would try Jim Kiblers method first. Depends on how black you want. You will not get any blacker than Fiebings USMC black leather dye. May be too black.
Blacker than a bruised crow,maybe? ;D

Bob Roller

Offline littlefat

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »
I used dark blue Ink on a Les Paul knock off  guitar kit for my son. It was dark but still transparent enough to see some grain.  black ink might work. never used it on a rifle

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
I used dark blue Ink on a Les Paul knock off  guitar kit for my son. It was dark but still transparent enough to see some grain.  black ink might work. never used it on a rifle

Tom Dawson used India ink to create a mineral streak in a copy of the Medina/Modena Hawken
 and it looked good.

Bob Roller

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 07:12:14 PM »
Laurel Mt Forge makes an ebony, alocohol based stain in that line, pretty darn black.  I've been using it a lot lately as a first coat, then sanding back before the color stain to make the dark curl have higher contrast.  I remember reading a tip in Muzzleblasts about roofing tar soaked in kerosene to do the same thing.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

galudwig

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 07:50:01 PM »

Thanks for the info Jim.  My first "CC class" rifle has a straight-grain maple stock and I also want to get a "past brown to black or almost black" stain like Dave is looking for.  Read the article and the blog and ordered some Quebracho Powder for myself.  :)