Author Topic: Project Completed for those who wanted to see it.  (Read 13023 times)

Offline Molly

Re: Project Completed for those who wanted to see it.
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »
Fair question.  The one and only answer is that he "would rather not be named" for reasons only really known to him but I'll add these thoughts.

Does the name make the gun or does the gun speak for itself?  I think the latter.  

Would comments have differed if the maker would have either:
A.  Has a top notched reputation OR
B.  Been someone no one had ever heard of.

After 111 or more guns and 40 years of building I suspect a builder who endured and survived has a reasonable sense of what a gun should be. (My way of saying he probably does not care what others think.)  So he is well beyond being a novice.  If it were I, my view would be why subject my work to be evaluated but people who might not have that same insight or skill.

But Marc and tomtom also offer a good thought.  Being able to build on ones own terms (your guns, your way for people you select) has to be of great importance.

Whatever his reasons, I'm only glad to have gotten to know him. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:34:48 PM by Molly »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
Very nice stain and finish, I still think there is a lot more wood that could be removed, but if you are happy, then I am happy for you and hope you get a life time of enjoyment with it!!!!
I think it would be a hoot if people posted their work for critique, anonymously!!!!! Let the games begin.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Molly

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
Robby:  You are not the only on that has commented about too much wood.  So, yes, I am happy thus you are as well.  I am however interested in what a rifle like this with "less wood" would look like.  Hard to get a feel for it from photos but what I have seen, and the one original I have (but not of the SMR style), seems to actually have more wood.  One said the barrel should show more metal.  As it is the wood comes about 1/2 way up the side.  That person also said there should be more ram rod showing.  I'm not disagreeing with any of that but as it is, the amount of wood by weight vs the total weight of the gun is minimal.  I know I was told what the weight of the wood was but cannot recall.  I'll find out and post it later.  I'll also maybe post some of the measurements of it as it is.

As to anonymously showing a work....I think that would be VERY interesting.  Anyone out there up to the dare?  How about even a gun owned but not made by the poster...?

Offline JDK

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 08:47:24 PM »
.....How about even a gun owned but not made by the poster...?

As has been discussed before, I don't think that would really be "cricket" here, as the Brits say.

But, perhaps under the Contemporary Collectors area.  But I'm not a moderator.

As to how much the wood "weighs", it is irrelevant.  Weight is about density.  Two blocks of maple identical in size can have vastly different weights.

"Too much wood" means there's too much in "volume" or it's too "fat" for the particular style or "school" of gunmaking the gun is derived from.

Hope that clears it up some.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 09:01:10 PM »
I think the culture we have and are trying to build is that of artisans continuing to improve their skills. Some, like myself are hobby amateurs who are happy to have a gun that shoots reliably and straight. Some are amateurs who are tremendous artists and some are professional with many guns behind them (Mike has over 300 IIRC) and some with price-tags that challenge home prices in some areas!!  :o  ;D  http://www.jwh-flintlocks.net/index.html

Some that are unique http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/ (by the way, these will demonstrate what is meant by taking more wood off)

So, many makers here submit their guns for critique... they learn something as do the critiquers  :o  Many of us are extremely grateful that so many of the masters on this site share their knowledge graciously with us.... they are true masters of what they do and they come here to continue to learn and to help others to learn the art and mystery of the American Long Rifle.

We usually don't critique a gun unless the builder asks...most ask, but they don't have to.......... Its the kind of mutually respectful culture that we believe will best foster the art.......

Anybody else is welcome to make additions, deletions or distortions to what I have said....... it is my opinion

So Molly, you are welcome here to learn and share to the degree you are comfortable..... and we will let you know when we are uncomfortable assuming that you would want to know
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:21:10 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »
Molly, Like JDK said, its not the actual weight of the wood removed. Removing wood just below the barrel centerline enhances the perception of lightness, flow, and the blissful marriage of wood and metal, as does having the stock line just above the centerline of the ram rod, or even more. It gives it a life all its own, unique, and not something mass produced by formula. It helps if you have two similar guns that you like suddenly shown side by side. You will like one better than the other, its only natural, ask yourself why. You may indeed prefer the heavier look, nothing wrong with that either. Best to you.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »
Molly, since you are posting here, I infer that you are willing to engage in conversation.  That you have posted images of your new pride and joy is both greatly appreciated and inspirational.

There are areas on your new rifle that some of us would have treated differently, and most of these have been addressed.  None of us has arrived at a point where we cannot improve our work, and it is a wonderful epiphany when we are able to examine, albeit simply from images only, another's work, and see where we might be able to learn something.  This is arguably the greatest gift that this web site offers...certainly for me.  The second is the genuine and sincere constructive critique that is offered.  And not to be diminished, being introduced to people who become true friends, is right up there too.

I know you will enjoy your new rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Molly

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 11:41:05 PM »
Yes!  Very willing to engage and learn!  And some of the recent comments actually do sink in.  OK, so lets me see if anyone want to suggest what some of the measurements should be on a rifle like this.  Lets break it down in just a few areas that were easy for me to measure.

What should the circumference of the wrist at the midpoint down the tang be?  (This was a concern going in to the project for me.)

What should the width of the barrel AND wood be at 22 inches from the muzzle (half way down, 40 cal Rice A wt)?  The barrel is 3/4 inch wide at that point)

How much wood should be on each side of the barrel at the above point?   

What should the width of the barrel and wood be immediately at the rear of the nose cap?

What should the width of the barrel and wood be just forward of the lock where the flat side begins to round?

Now if these are questions that is impossible to answer or the questions as I have asked them is not appropriate, please excuse me.

Now, with all that said or questioned there is one area of this rifle that has been a concern of mine form the beginning and that is the amount of wood at the lock and opposite side.  While I think it came together very well and very much to my satisfaction I'm thinking it might have been a little 
smaller at that point.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2015, 12:37:14 AM »
Yawn... I think I'm finding myself not caring so much about this gun , the mystery builder or the mystery owner.  Too much hiding in the bushes for me. ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline art riser

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2015, 02:08:02 AM »
Agreed Mike!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 02:12:13 AM by art riser »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 02:18:09 AM »
Yup. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 02:57:26 AM »
Nice rifle and you can tell the builder we said so.   :)