Author Topic: A question about an old musket  (Read 3368 times)

Waphaygumy

A question about an old musket
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:55:38 AM »
Hello,  i am new to the forum.  I have a few questions about two guns that i have that have been passed down through the family for over 100 years that i know.   I would like more i formation about this rifle musket.  It appears to be in very good shape, it says "griffiths cincinnati,o" on the plate.  This happens to be where my family is from.  Any information about value would be appreciated too.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:59:13 AM by Waphaygumy »

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: A question about an old musket
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:20:22 AM »
We really can't tell much without pictures.  It tells how here. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

Waphaygumy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:25:59 AM »
Aguess pics are going to be a problem here.  I could email pics to you or anyone who wants to see them. Thanks

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:12:47 AM »
The lock was sold through the John A. Griffiths shop in Cincinnati. It could have been used by Griffiths on one of his own rifles (he was a gunsmith and sold hardware in Cincinnati between 1834-1865), but it could also have been used by a large number of other Midwest gunsmiths from Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana who purchased locks and other gun parts from Griffiths' shop. The only way to identify what you have is to post pictures of the gun, showing from the butt plate out to about 8 inches past the lock plate area, for both sides of the gun. The gun's stock architecture and furniture can often help us determine where and when the gun was made...and sometimes the maker.

The most important mark on the gun, if present, is the gunmaker's mark. He would normally sign/stamp his initials or name on the top barrel flat a few inches behind the rear sight. Check there and let us know if there are any names or initials. If you cannot post pictures here, I am always glad to look at them by e-mail at sgallien@comcast.net and will post a response here on what you have.

Hope this helps. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:14:08 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »
The gun's owner e-mailed pictures of the rifle to me. It is an 1840s full-stocked gun of moderate barrel length and rather plain. The gun's trigger guard has the small double spur at the back of the grip rail, often a detail of guns made along the Ohio River. The butt stock has a slight "fish belly" suggesting the gun was made on the north side of the river, most likely Ohio. However, the gun does not appear (to me) to be a John Griffiths product. The closest I've seen to this style gun is the work of Benjamin Sells of Brown Co. Ohio.

Unfortunately the gun has been heavily cleaned and refinished, with an inappropriate Lancaster style daisy-head patchbox installed...probably a newer box using brass screws. The box was not trimmed to meet the butt curvature, still having flat ends on the lid and side leaves,  suggesting a relatively recent addition. Barrel is shortened an inch or two, a common occurrence. The owner did not show a picture of the top barrel flat where the maker's name might have been, and I have asked him to recheck that area to see if any trace of initials or a name remain...because without it, we probably can't go much farther with this rifle.  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:35:54 AM by Tanselman »