Author Topic: the beast...........continues  (Read 3887 times)

kaintuck

the beast...........continues
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:16:32 PM »

Ken has pointed out a few area's to re-work.....and we are rasping and scrapeing her still.......but he's one photo of 'the beast'....

comments? ;D :P

marc n tomtom

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: the beast...........continues
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
Kind of beastly...... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 07:27:22 PM »
I would like to comment on the girth of the lock area, but before I do, I would like to see a picture of the lock inlet.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
Also a picture looking straight down  near the breech covering to the front of the lock /side plate panels.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 11:29:23 PM »
Yes.  My concern is the breadth of the stock through the lock.  I'm wondering if the wood has been reduced to expose the bevel of the plate, leaving only about 1/6" of plate inletted.  If not, then the corresponding wood on the off side will need paring down, and thus reducing significantly the breadth of the stock laterally through the lock/breech area.  And if this is the case, the breadth too of the wrist can be reduced.  This needs to be addressed NOW, before any further shaping of the butt stock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

kaintuck

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 03:43:38 AM »
 :D
Yup, yup, and yup.....the lock has that ridge around it that I level the wood to......then measured the depth to the barrel, and duplicate it on the other side, leaving the barrel centered.
While the camera angle adds to the width.....she IS wide, C weight barrel, 54cal, and Germanic lock :o

She definitely casts a shadow! But, she shoulders very well, a tiny amount of castoff, 1/8" is all that I allowed, but MY cheek welds perfectly, and soon I will put the sights on her.....even tho my eyes don't like iron sights anymore.....

I just may have to shoot this one some when done........
 ;D

Today was spent final letting in of the side plate, and toe plate.....I still need to make the PB latch.....
Thanks fellas
Marc n tomtom

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
Pesonally I don't consider a C weight barrel breech to be large. They are only 1 1/16". Anything after an 1 1/8" I consider large. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?