Author Topic: New KY Rifle web site  (Read 11433 times)

Offline Sweeney

Re: New KY Rifle web site
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
Gentlemen,
I am a devoted fan of this site. I, too, see the challenge of recruitment to not only the building of these guns but also the use. I am not young - fifties, but I am driven by what I see as a focused, determined threat to destroy Liberty in our Nation. It fuels me to take on the fight as best I know how. These rifles represent a time when our Nation was self-sufficient, self-reliant and helpful of each other on an individual, family-to-family basis. A time that clarified the American definition of freedom. And that is what I intend to capture in a weekly outdoor program following trekkers as they hunt with the tools and tactics used by our frontiering forefathers. That is how we recruit - utilize the unrivaled power of media/entertainment to capture the imagination of all those never exposed to this passion we share. I am currently in production on a documentary film and plan to quickly move into this project as soon as we finish editing. This gunbuilding "hobby" has the potential to be huge. It needs a vehicle to carry it to a massive untouched market. That is my goal. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Troy Sweeney

Offline tecum-tha

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 08:02:39 PM »
That is nice thinking, but I think it will not work like that. Pictures and video as media is not really that powerful when young people live in a world of information overload.
It may ignite a brief interest, but firing those flintlocks/muzzleloaders in person may really get you interested.
But if the interested person finds out how expensive it is, the interest will most likely dwindle pretty quick.
What we need is: affordability!!!
Affordability is the biggest culprit for young people to get into the shooting/building together with a lack of knowledge.
When it comes to affordability, shooting a flintlock is quite cheap, if you know what to do and if you have already acquired a certain amount of equipment.
That is where mentorship of established shooters/hunters/builders etc. must come in. Instead of buying 200 cast swaged balls for $26, one can buy a mold for $20.and in a .45 cal you can buy lead for $6 and cast those 200 balls. You just need the melting pot to melt the lead for another $25.
But who shows the new shooters how to cast good balls? That is where video is a great tool or you have a mentor.
Hardly anyone will start building longrifles without being a dedicated flintlock shooter/hunter. No-one will gather the required skills from looking at pretty pictures.
The only thing is, that it may spark some interest.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 03:41:35 AM »
Troy and Tecumtha, Both of you have some very good ideas for promoting the American longrifle to the young people and also to any newby to this site.So far your Ideas I think would be do-able. keep the ideas coming. Every one I know has their own Ideas on how to atract new members and keep them interested , soooooo  let everyone hear your ideas. Dont be bashful!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 10:28:33 PM »
Don't know what it means,but so far ~4500 hits in 10 days, about 50%  bounces ( proabale "bots or crawlers).

But it does mean many more than ALR members ( only place I annouced it) are looking...at leaat once ( 25% returning).

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 03:01:10 AM »
americankentuckyrifleart.com

Much more completed.  Have a look.  Remember we are try to make KY Rifle (1750-2015) information readily available to attract new interest. This is intentionally not written for ALR viewer who are experienced makers and collectors. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Pointing out errors would especially be helpful.
Hurricane and Nord

fgarner@verizon.net
nordata@mindspring.com