Author Topic: First Build Considerations  (Read 2645 times)

Offline grabenkater

First Build Considerations
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
I have been shooting BP for nearly 30 years now and for the past three or four, I have wanted to build my own rifle. Gathered all of the parts to build one three years ago and ended up giving the parts to a friend to put together. Wife having a baby really put a halt on my time and energy to build a rifle.

So here it is a few years later and I am back to wanting a new BP rifle. I have been reading a lot about the Westward expansion and Fur Trade, so I got a strong hankering for a Hawken rifle but I have been advised by Mr. Stith that a Hawken may not be the rifle for a first time builder. I have considered a Dimick from Mr. Stith, because of his suggestion it may be easier for a beginner.

This morning I started looking around the net for Leman rifles and I think this is the route I want to go for my build. It appears there were many of these in the West in the hands of early settlers and others from back East.

Any input on what kit to look for? Track, Peccatonca? TVM?

I am wanting to build something with a 36" to 40" barrel in .54 or .58.

When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

ejcrist

Re: First Build Considerations
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:43 PM »
Track makes a Lehman kit  http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/GunKitDetail.aspx/607/1/LEMAN-TRADE-RIFLE-FLINT-PARTS-LIST/KIT-LE-15-FLINT

They also make a fullstock Hawken  http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/604/1/KIT-HAWKEN-FULLSTOCK-16-FLINT

TVM also has a Lehman   http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com/#!leman-rifle/c1v9s

I only built one rifle so far so I'm far from anything above the rank of a beginner, but I read in several places the same thing you heard about not building a half stock rifle until you get some experience. I don't remember the reason but it might have something to do with fitting the hook breech or maybe the ramrod bar (don't know if that's what it's called) under the barrel. The full stock rifles aren't too hard if you have good reference materials and basic woodworking and metal working skills. Building that first rifle was probably the most enjoyable thing I've ever done.

Gene 

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:22:32 PM »
get a precarved stock from Pecatonica,
get a barrel from Ryan at MuzzleloaderBuildersSupply,
have him cut the dovetails for sights and underlugs,,if you not comfortable doing it.
if its a Leman, it seems TOTW has the nearest to being right trigger guard,
all of this would go a long ways in helping a 1st build get off to a good start,
Leman style is not a tough build, be a great starting point
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 02:07:34 AM »
If you can find a local builder who will spend a little time with you, skip the "kits" and get a blank and the right lock and the right parts and put something together. 

If you're not a woodworker already, plan on making 2 more to get it right!  ;D\

one leads to another
one...
Hold to the Wind