Author Topic: Kentucky Pistol identification  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Kentucky Pistol identification
« on: March 23, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
   I had the opportunity to pick up a simple but well made, small, unsigned KY pistol at the Baltimore show over the weekend.  It's a nice
little pistol with a Bird & Brothers Philadelphia percussion lock.  The only features which set it apart from any other pistol
is there is a brass diamond shaped  inlay on top of the wrist and a larger brass diamond shaped inlay on the butt held on with a steel
screw.  The other feature is that the butt is on the smaller side and trigger guard is steel.  I don't have a KY pistol book, but if this rings any bells to
anyone, please share your thoughts.  I will try to take pictures and post them after work.  The only example that looked similar that
I could find said that unsigned pistol was likely southern.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:35:20 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Kentucky Pistol identification
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »
Shreck - I'll pull out the book and compare when I see some of your photos later this afternoon.  Sounds like a neat piece - does the varnish have any color in it?  I've seen lots of Lehigh-ish pistols with "Bird" or "Pird" locks on them. 
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:40:27 PM »
Eric,  The pistol is a violin black/reddish color
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »
I realize this is a longshot because this pistol is plain, but here are the photos.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:26:48 AM »
What caliber is it?

I agree it looks like it might have been made in the south.

Dennis
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:32:21 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 02:32:00 AM »
Rob,

I didn't find any matches in my few KY pistol books (Dyke, Chandler/Whisker & KRA) but, FWIW, I did notice that most of the bag style gripped pistols were southern.

Bill