Author Topic: Well which school has the MOST drop ?  (Read 5190 times)

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Well which school has the MOST drop ?
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »
Looking at Lehigh guns,  seems to be a very large drop at heel.  Kuntz, Moll etc.  four inches or more ?  Who's made one, how does one shoulder and shoot.   I have a bbl. & blank but may not be deep enough in butt stock for one ????.....Tom

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Well which school has the MOST drop ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:23:53 PM »
I would say the Bedford School has the most drop at both the comb and the heel.  Although many Lehigh rifles have lots of drop at the heel, at the comb they are pretty straight wristed, and that is where you run into problems with cheek slap.  Another feature, arguably as important as drop, is the pitch of the butt plate.  As an example, Tulle trade guns often have acceptable drop at the comb and heel, but still kick the snot out of your cheek and beak.  Upon firing, the butt rises because of the pitch, and smites thee.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 11:46:18 PM »
Many of the 19th century southern mountain guns had a lot of drop and pull.   However,  those guns were designed to shoot from the upper arm and not the shoulder.   That is where the difference comes in.   If the gun has an extremely curved butt (a lot of mid 19th century guns from multiple regions), it was designed to be shot from the arm and will probably have more drop and pull than one designed to be shot from the shoulder. 

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 11:48:29 PM »
Yep!  Bedford County guns.  Have a look:

:o Sorry!  Couldn't help myself. ;D  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 12:08:07 AM »
Had me fooled for a second!
Bob

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 12:35:07 AM »
I like that JDK, is that a traditional Bedford look ?   How bout lock choices on Lehigh's--would a round faced flint be sort a correct ?    Tom

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
Here JD, i had to fix that image a little bit.  Make it more palatable for the forum--I didn't have my sunglasses on for such exposure this morning!  8)

With this much drop, one could literally shoot "off the hip".  :P

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:47:17 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
A New York Halfstock and a Figthorn/Bonewitz conglomeration.  Both are around 6" to the top of the buttplate

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »
yikes - each to his own, though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:10:21 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Duane Harshaw

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 12:17:11 AM »
Hockey stick was my first long rifle,and the arm of the couch my first horse,all of course while watching Davy Crockett,it was fun to be 4 back then.I have been addicted ever since then..d
Coaldale Alberta Canada

Offline JDK

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 01:32:51 AM »
Pardon the delay in replying.  Wasn't being rude.  Just got back from spending the weekend with a baker's dozen of 6-9 year old Cub Scouts at camp.

Yes and no Tom.  Traditional architecture, but contemporary finish on those Bedfords. ;)

Thanks for fixing that up for me Wade.  Looks like the difference between the photos in Kindig and RCA vs. Eastwings work now.  Crazy the difference a little color makes.

T*O*F......6" of drop?  Wow.  I'm with Daryl there.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 03:42:27 AM »
T*O*F......6" of drop?  Wow.  I'm with Daryl there.
The New York gun is a bicep gun and has fit everyone who's tried it so far, over a broad range of body styles.

The Figthorn fits me perfectly when "shouldered" and my eye falls naturally to the sight plane without the customary neck bending and shoulder hunching I usually experience with other guns.  Not everyone is build like a cro-magnin or fireplug.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson