Author Topic: GPR flint breechplug  (Read 3145 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
GPR flint breechplug
« on: March 20, 2015, 11:34:10 PM »
OK, never worked on one before.  It seems there is a stuck ball AND now a ramrod tip, in the barrel.

Is this one of those impossible plugs, and it kinda looks like the touchhole goes through the breechplug into a powder chamber?
Your help,greatly appreciated
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: GPR flint breechplug
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:44:30 AM »
 Get a CO2 ball extractor, with the flint adapter. I had a big old bullet stuck in my old .58 Harpers Ferry, and a friend had one of those contraptions in his shooting box. He gave it a shot and my troubles were over.

Hungry Horse

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 03:39:38 AM »
Getting a good seal on the vent or nipple is quite important and using a co2 cartridge with enough volume, as those we use at the NMLRA's Western Shoot, is also a big plus.

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 04:15:02 AM »
I've pulled the plug on an Investarms Hawken rifle. The GPR is made by the same company. Does your setup look like this? If so, it's pretty easy to remove.

I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 08:46:14 AM »
No, not at all.
In His grip,

Dane

hammer

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
Small patch, if the ramrod tip doesn't completely fill the bore there is another sure way.  Take a piece of metal tubing that is a close fit in the bore and over-length.  File teeth around one end as on a hole saw.   Drill for and fit a T handle at one end and press down and twist to cut way the circumference of the ball.  Remove to clean off the teeth.  There isn't much lead there to start with but first make sure that any powder under the ball is fully neutralised with oil squirted through the touch hole.

The obvious alternative is to dribble and poke fine powder in through the touch hole and blow out the ball.  That would depend where the ball is lodged.  If not at the breach then the gap may not allow sufficient pressure to build for the job.   Unless the ball could still be driven down to the breech.

Stubborn balls can usually be withdrawn easily by first pouring cleaning solution down to top of the combo to thoroughly soak the patch and fouling.   Leave it there for a while to work.

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
No, not at all.

I just checked the plug on my sons flint GPR, it's just like the one I posted pics of.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 12:16:08 AM »
Shovel, you're correct. Now that I got it a part, it is the same.

However, I was able to use a compressor and blow the ball etc., out.
No longer need to pull the plug.
Thanks for all your help.

Never did find the ball and rod end.  Disappeared into the fog! Mine.
In His grip,

Dane