Author Topic: quality of sparks  (Read 6805 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
quality of sparks
« on: March 01, 2009, 02:29:50 AM »
In the last few days I have been trying to photograph a flintlock's spark production.  The process involves an untried computer interface coupled to the flash.  What I wanted to do did not work, but some of the photos are interesting.  Would you be satisfied with this spark production?

This last pic was photographed in total darkness.  The only light is provided by the sparks.  (BTW this is a 20+ year old L Siler that has fired thousands of times but has never been on a gun.  It has been the test bed for numerous experiments.)

Regards,
Pletch

Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Kelhammer

Re: quality of sparks
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 03:18:37 AM »
Great pics Larry. ;)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:57:38 AM »
Looks pretty spectacular to me.

!Jozai Senjo!  "always present on the battlefield"
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:19:41 AM »
Larry,
Wish pyrite sparked like that on a wheellock, hee, hee!
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

northmn

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
When I started building, the Siler lock was considered about the best you could get.  Looks like they aren't all shabby. 

DP

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 07:45:26 PM »
Looks about right, Pletch. That lock has some life left in it for sure.  Also looks like it wants to be on a rifle.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 04:36:39 AM »
Hey Larry,
 That lock is sparking away too much. Email me for addy to send it to.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:51:32 AM »
Hey Larry,
 That lock is sparking away too much. Email me for addy to send it to.

Leatherbelly,
It sure is a sweetheart, isn't it.  It was first used for research when writing the Journal of Historic Armsmaking Technology  Vol IV.  It was our standard when making comparisons with original locks for that article and then with reproduction locks since.  I appreciate your kind offer to care for it, but I think I'll hang on to it.   :)  As Daryl said it deserves to be on a rifle.  Before I retire it, I expect I should do that.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Teach

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »
Great Pics as usual Larry !
Have you had a chance to try that "Foxfire priming agent " ?

Cheers Bob.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »
Great Pics as usual Larry !
Have you had a chance to try that "Foxfire priming agent " ?
Cheers Bob.

Good Morning,
No, I regret that I haven't timed "Foxfire" yet.  I should have gotten to it, but now have the wrong fixture set up.   For priming powder, I use a fixture that holds the lock with a solenoid that contacts the lock sear.  Time starts when the sear trips and stops with the pan photo cell.  Right now we're geared up with a different one that doesn't use a solenoid or a lock for that matter.  Switching back and forth isn't a big pain, but we'll probably finish off the breech tests before changing back.

A fair comparison would be to run Foxfire against both Swiss and Goex 4fg powders.  Normally I'd alternate the three priming powders so that flint wear would be less of a factor.  The lock in the photos would be the lock of choice.  I didn't keep track, but the last photo was after probably 12-15 strikes into a new flint.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Teach

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 04:51:17 AM »
Thanks Larry, if you need a 1/2 grain measure, I normally make a "scoop" from a branch or twig approx 3/32" in dia, also it works best to close the frizzen and bump the powder towards the vent, always want have some against the vent, even if you only have a dusting in the pan.

Cheers Bob.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 05:06:47 AM »
Teach,

Are you the "Teach" that used to live down near Philly??

E. Ogre

Teach

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 06:13:35 AM »
Not guilty, I'm from Vancouver Island BC

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 07:50:10 AM »
Thanks Larry, if you need a 1/2 grain measure, I normally make a "scoop" from a branch or twig approx 3/32" in dia, also it works best to close the frizzen and bump the powder towards the vent, always want have some against the vent, even if you only have a dusting in the pan.

Cheers Bob.

For our experimentation I weigh out priming on a balance scales and pour into empty cartridge cases --30 or so at a time.  By the time I use those up, we have to air out the garage anyway.

"bumping powder toward the vent?" --  a man after my own heart.  The March issue of MuzzleBlasts has the magazine version of the "Pan Vent Experiments" that is on my web site.  Banking prime away resulted in 15%+ slower than close to the barrel.

Regards,
Pletch
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:52:11 AM by Larry Pletcher »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com