Author Topic: I have heard this before  (Read 11829 times)

Offline tecum-tha

Re: I have heard this before
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 05:31:26 AM »
As a structural engineer I agree with the grain flow being very important.
If you don't have a hooked barrel assembly and want to remove the barrel for cleaning etc., the through bolt will be easier on the wood in the tang area than a wood screw and will not wear out the wood.
It really depends on what kind of force the tang bolt will encounter. Let's say the tang is fitted perfectly to the square end of the barrel channel and then screwed down. If the wood dries and shrinks because of different moisture contents at the end of the barrel channel and the gun will be fired, the wood screw which is now also slightly looser will have to sustain the shear and will scram slightly in the wood and induce a more superficial splitting force. A screw also has less rounded contact area with the wood and thus will induce different amounts of stress (top of the threads beeing most critical).
A tang bolt is bolted through the trigger plate and will also induce some force to the trigger plate and apply its friction and fasteners. The through bolt is usually longer (about double as long as a screw, has a larger diameter and a smooth surface in a smooth drilled hole. The overall force will thus be spread out on a much larger area and is inmh less likely to induce critical stress on the surface of the wood. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »
In the case of a vertical through bolt from tang to trigger plate, wouldn't a tubing sleeve epoxied in place strengthen the wrist wood?  Most wrists I see broken are a shear break in the horizontal plane along grain lines.

I am thinking of a metal tube, inside diameter matching external diameter of the bolt.  The drilled hole in the wood of the wrist would match the outside diameter of the tube (or just slightly bigger).  The tube would be slightly shorter than the depth of the hole to allow for slight compression and wood shrinkage.  The tube would be epoxied in place, and would be invisible with the gun assembled.

In the past I have read that wood, glued with modern glues, rarely ever breaks at the glue joint.  Therefore, I'd think it would prevent or reduce the chance of shear breakage through the wrist.

Any thoughts folks?
Missed this when Marcruger posted it. Sounds to me like it would be a good way to strengthen the wrist somewhat after drilling the through bolt hole.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »
In the case of a vertical through bolt from tang to trigger plate, wouldn't a tubing sleeve epoxied in place strengthen the wrist wood?  Most wrists I see broken are a shear break in the horizontal plane along grain lines.

I am thinking of a metal tube, inside diameter matching external diameter of the bolt.  The drilled hole in the wood of the wrist would match the outside diameter of the tube (or just slightly bigger).  The tube would be slightly shorter than the depth of the hole to allow for slight compression and wood shrinkage.  The tube would be epoxied in place, and would be invisible with the gun assembled.

In the past I have read that wood, glued with modern glues, rarely ever breaks at the glue joint.  Therefore, I'd think it would prevent or reduce the chance of shear breakage through the wrist.

Any thoughts folks?
Missed this when Marcruger posted it. Sounds to me like it would be a good way to strengthen the wrist somewhat after drilling the through bolt hole.
Dennis

There were some military rifles that were built with a sleeve for the action bolts, but they all had pretty clunky stocks, particularly through the wrist area, and the hole for a sleeve is even larger than a clearance hole for a bolt. Any way you look at it a through hole is removing a significant percentage of material and completely interrupting the grain flow through an already weakened area. The through bolted tang may prevent the area from flexing as much, therefore helping prevent the wood from reaching the breaking point, but it certainly does not add to the strength of the wood itself. It may or may not be indicative of anything, but when looking through the books of old rifle photos, it seems that most of the guns with broken stocks are from areas that used through bolted tangs.