Author Topic: longrifle style advise please  (Read 5650 times)

Turtle

longrifle style advise please
« on: March 25, 2015, 02:58:28 PM »
  I plan on building a new 50cal flint rifle for myself to hunt deer and target shoot. I plan on using a late ketlin chambers lock, a single trigger. I want it as lite as possible, but also easy on my shoulder and arms. I know these two things conflict somewhat. I could use a 42" or 38" barrel, preferably swamped. Style or period is not critical.
  Is there a stock style you would recommend for comfortable shooting? Other comments? I currently shoot a rifle with a 42"  .45 B weight.
                                                             Thanks ,Turtle

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: longrifle style advise please
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »
Early Lancaster, 38" B wt barrel, but a late Ketland would not be appropriate.
Makes one of the easiest handling, most comfortable shooting rifles.
Proper lock would be a Siler.
In His grip,

Dane

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »
Build a Isaac Haines with a B-50 x 38" swamped barrel. That will put you in 7 to 7.5# and extremely
well balanced, putting most of the weight on the shoulders rather than the forearm.  Going from a
42" ot a 38" swamped barrel is a noticeable difference.   ;)

Keith Lisle

Offline retired fella

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:49:30 PM »
Just finished a .50 straight barrel Douglas which I cut down to 32" using a Lancaster pattern.  Using 50 gr of fffg it is OK but using a hunting load of 80 gr + will give you a bit of a jolt.  I cut mine down due to weight and it is still 10.5lb.
Before, it was a 14lb gun which for me is a bit more than I want to tote in the woods.
good luck with your build.  Hope it's a tack driver.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
Build a Isaac Haines with a B-50 x 38" swamped barrel. That will put you in 7 to 7.5# and extremely
well balanced, putting most of the weight on the shoulders rather than the forearm.  Going from a
42" ot a 38" swamped barrel is a noticeable difference.   ;)

Keith Lisle
I have this rifle which is light weight and very pleasant to shoot. Mine is a 50 caliber.
iloco

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
well balanced, putting most of the weight on the shoulders rather than the forearm.  Going from a
42" ot a 38" swamped barrel is a noticeable difference.   Wink

Keith Lisle

I agree with Keith and if you want a larger caliber the C profile 54 caliber is really a nice balancing rifle and really handles well for hunting in our neck of the woods (central VA woods). I built a early Dickert rifle with a 54 cal, C profile  Rice barrel in this profile. I love it. (forgot to mention it has a Siler lock which is the correct style lock for a Dickert)
Dennis
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:12:17 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »
Turtle,

If you want a lightweight nice shooting .50 with a late Ketland lock I suggest that you look at the Gillespie Rifles that Dennis can set you up to build....
http://www.gillespierifles.com/  Very lightweight especially with a Rice Southern Classic barrel.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 04:44:38 PM »
What Dennis said.... .50 cal B wt, or .54 cal C weight  I. Haines, with 38" barrels are awesome handling guns.
In His grip,

Dane

Turtle

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »
 Thanks! a siler would be OK. I have several guns with the deluxe siler and am satisfied with them I just have heard so many good things about the Late ketland here.
                                                 Turtle

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 08:06:45 PM »
Turtle,

I recently finished a rifle in the Bucks County style with a B weight, 38 inch, .50 caliber Green Mountain barrel.  It is a nice handling rifle and a pleasure to carry in the woods for hunting, which is why I wanted it.  However, it could use a little more weight in the barrel to hold better for target shooting.  IMHO a 38 inch barrel in C weight or a 44 inch barrel in B weight would hold better for target shooting.  It's hard to find a combination that is ideal for both hunting and target use.  I guess you just have to decide how you'll mainly use a rifle and build it to support that concept.  Just my tuppence.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 09:37:34 PM »
On page 126 of Tracks catalog #16 is a real Dickert with a lock similar to a late Ketland ??????

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
Since I didn't see "historically correct" in the OP then lock selection is up in the air. If Don Getz was here he'd probably say a Beck style is worth considering. The guard close to the wrist is comfortable for many shooters.
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 10:23:19 PM »
I have a rifle patterned after the early Lancaster with a .38" "B" weight Rice barrel.  The whole thing is much lighter than I'd assumed and is a true featherweight.  My hunting load of 70 grains of 3F lets you know you just fired a real rifle.  It's about the easiest totin' rifle I've ever carried and hunted with.  It's a perfect woods rifle.  I'd recommend something along those lines, and if HC/PC isn't an issue, a Ketland or Siler either one will work splendidly.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

blackbruin

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 10:37:09 PM »
A rice .50 southern classic barrel is 42" and lighter than a .50 b weight.  If your stuck on light as possible...

galamb

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 02:07:44 AM »
Blindfold yourself and shoulder a J.P. Beck rifle.

You would be hard pressed to tell that you didn't have a modern, custom firearm in your hands and against your shoulder.

Also as has been suggested, Early Lancaster style (which is like throwing Beck, Dickert and a few others into a blender) is a more generic style that would also shoulder and hold well.