Author Topic: Henry Sheetz  (Read 3403 times)

Ohioan

Henry Sheetz
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »
I was at a gunshow yesterday, and among all the beat up cheap combloc guns there were a few muzzleloaders.  One in particular caught my attention.
  It was "dated" by the owner at 1845.  It had a full stock, keys with escutcheons, barrel was octagon to round, labeled as a .32, but obviously around an 20 gauge.  It had a nice brass patchbox and a sideplate that had some wriggle engraving done to it.  It was a converted caplock stamped Ketland Co.  The lockplate was originally a flint and I believe original to the gun. 

On top of the barrel it was STAMPED "Henry Sheets" and I can't remember the location. 

It's my opinion that this gun was earlier than dated due to the architecture and converted lock.  Anyone have any ideas?

Oh yeah, the price was just under $900.  And he told me he was willing to work on the price of "those old things".

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Henry Sheetz
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »
Whisker lists a Henry Sheets Sr. who worked early (as early as the Revolution period) in Shepherdstown (now West) Virginia.  His son Henry Jr. worked from about the 1790 and died in 1825.  In 1850 there was another Henry Sheets working in Missouri - don't know of the relation - the Sheets (Sheetz) family of gunsmiths was huge.  Lots of Virginians (including gunsmiths like the Coles and Sites) ended up in Missouri so probably was a relative of the Virginia Sheets, and probably got his start in Virginia.

Without seeing any more details, my guess is that it is one of the later two, maybe the one who died in 1825, but hard to tell.  Sounds like a nice piece.  I don't know much about price, but if it is in decent condition, with all original parts, and was originally flint, a signed Henry Sheets fullstock with a patchbox sounds like a good find.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:52:03 PM »
Just be careful, something doesn't sound right! Caveat emptor!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Ohioan

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 03:59:35 AM »
Oh don't worry, I wasn't going to buy.  I had my eyes out for a nice 1903 colt

The guy had 4 longrifles, this one being the oldest, and finest.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:38:59 AM »
Zach,
As Guy indicated, there were quite a few Sheetz gunmakers around, and some of them command decent prices. This one sounds like it may have had a few pieces and parts cobbled together.
Mark
Mark