Author Topic: Shooting Bags ,,, hair on  (Read 12853 times)

Offline J Henry

Shooting Bags ,,, hair on
« on: May 31, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
  I have 3,,,,1/2 cow hides with the hair on,,, anyone have any experience with making Hair on bags and how they wear????I have 18 hair on pelts as well but do not want to make a bag and find out they do not hold up...

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Shooting Bags ,,, hair on
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:32:16 AM »
Wear would just add to the look. Go for it, there are originals out their.
Psalms 144

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »
I have made a few, they hold up as good as any.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 06:55:25 PM »
If by "hold up" you mean keep the hair indefinitely, the answer is "no."
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

SuperCracker

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:31:47 PM »
I replaced the flap on a bag I got from TOW with hair on cowhide. It doesn't get much abuse as it's my bird hunting bag, but it's seemed to hold up good for what it's gotten.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:03:32 AM »
 Off topic, that is a Good look'n German Short Hair. @!*% I miss bird hunt'n.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:04:44 AM by Tim Crosby »

ddoyle

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 04:22:57 AM »
All fur is fleeting and so are we so enjoy it and do not worry about it wearing out. If you have nice fur (not cow) make a bag from it. Make it big enough that in a pinch it can be worn as a hat. Sitting with a fur bag on your lap with your hands in it makes a cold sit much more tolerable. Likewise when still hunting nothing keeps your trigger hand warmer then placing it unmittened in a fur bag.

My current bag is thick cashmere/angora with lynx trim/flap made large enough that wet feet would  fit in should a -40 emergency occur.

Another nice thing about soft fur is just a bit of it quiets you down real good. On dry ground/veg dangle it over/on your foot as you step. deadly.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:25:34 AM by ddoyle »

Offline whitebear

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 06:02:21 AM »
All fur is fleeting and so are we so enjoy it and do not worry about it wearing out. If you have nice fur (not cow) make a bag from it. Make it big enough that in a pinch it can be worn as a hat. Sitting with a fur bag on your lap with your hands in it makes a cold sit much more tolerable. Likewise when still hunting nothing keeps your trigger hand warmer then placing it unmittened in a fur bag.

My current bag is thick cashmere/angora with lynx trim/flap made large enough that wet feet would  fit in should a -40 emergency occur.

Another nice thing about soft fur is just a bit of it quiets you down real good. On dry ground/veg dangle it over/on your foot as you step. deadly.

I had never thought of using a bag like this.  Just goes to show that you can teach an old dog new tricks!
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 04:51:12 PM »
I replaced the flap on a bag I got from TOW with hair on cowhide. It doesn't get much abuse as it's my bird hunting bag, but it's seemed to hold up good for what it's gotten.

Nice picture SuperCracker. My Dad use to raise german shorthair pointers.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:53:07 PM by Kopfjaeger »
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

ddoyle

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 09:55:33 PM »
Whitebear, Those uses are born of my own shortcomings as a hunter. They would not occur to a normal man  :D.  A lite analysis indicates they are born of my unique  intolerance to dis comfort (cry baby about cold), weakness (hate to carry anything extra) and impatience (charge in when I should just wait). 

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 11:41:38 PM »

No kermit i did not mean hold the hair. even Taxidermy looses hair. i was refering to the leather. hair on or off......the leather is still the same .Just my opinion. 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »

No kermit i did not mean hold the hair. even Taxidermy looses hair. i was refering to the leather. hair on or off......the leather is still the same .Just my opinion. 

Shucks, I've lost a lot of hair and never been touched by a taxidermist.  ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »
I used a chunk of Beaver for one of mine. I made sure the direction the fur was flowing   was down when the flap was cut out.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 12:08:55 AM »
SuperCracker, I love dogs in general and consider them the very best people around.  And I know I'd really get along with that handsome fellow you have in the pic.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »
I have an original bag with the hair on the flap. Don't think I have seen one complete made of hair on.

Anyway, the hair is worn off where the horn rubbed against the flap and the back of the horn is polished very nicely from rubbing against the flap.

So I would say that eventally the hair will wear out but probably not it you lifetime. I have been entertaining the thought having by bag reproduced, but haven't gotten around to it yet, always seem to be something more important to do with the money,

Dale H

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
I have an original bag with the hair on the flap. Don't think I have seen one complete made of hair on.

Anyway, the hair is worn off where the horn rubbed against the flap and the back of the horn is polished very nicely from rubbing against the flap.

So I would say that eventally the hair will wear out but probably not it you lifetime. I have been entertaining the thought having by bag reproduced, but haven't gotten around to it yet, always seem to be something more important to do with the money,

Dale H

Post some pictures of it here. I'm sure most of us would love to see it.
Psalms 144

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 04:38:35 AM »
We are all packed up for moving and I don't know where my camera or the bag are. However, I think I have an email with some pictures attached. If I can find it, I will forward it to you.

I also forgot the front panel was also tanned with the hair on as well as the flap.

Dale H

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »
Found it.

It just sent it to you. If anyone else wants it, let me know.

Dale H

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 02:08:27 AM »
I'm glad you tried sending it to me, it reminded me I needed to update my email address. Unfortunately that address you sent it to was from long ago. I got my new one up now.
Psalms 144

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 06:55:05 PM »
Tried again.

Let me know if it doesn't come through.

dale h

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 03:24:05 AM »
Dale, I received it. That is an interesting pouch. From the looks of the bag contents it looks to be second half of the 19th century. I really liked the cartridge casing powder measure, resembles a .44-40 casing.
Psalms 144

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 06:46:43 PM »
Actually, it is a 38 wcf (38-40) and I got an 1873 Winchester in 38 wcf from the same source.

A bag maker who knows a lot more than I do examined the pouch and said it was hand stitched so I am thinking it may be older and that someone added the cartridge case later. The other two powder measures are hand made brass and the last is cast.

Dale H