Author Topic: E. A. Oppelt rifle repair  (Read 14267 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
E. A. Oppelt rifle repair
« on: April 01, 2015, 01:41:19 AM »
Things seem a bit slow, so I thought I’d post these pictures of a rifle I worked on some time ago.
This rifle is owned by the family of the original owner, and wanted it put back to a more complete rifle by replacing the parts that were lost somewhere along the way.
The rifle was made by E. A. Oppelt. He worked in Clarion Pa about 1842 to 1847, according to Sellers.
The lock needed a hammer and a lock screw, the stock a fore end cap and ram rod, and the tang was broken and lost at the screw hole and it needed an appropriate screw in place of the modern replacement. They also wanted the wood and metal lightly cleaned up to make it look better, and be able to see the brass bands and engraving on the barrel.  A few drops of my super secret drying oil ;D and a bit of wax took care of the wood, and in the end the owner was happy seeing it looking better again.
John

These are the 'Before' pictures;

And these are the 'After' pictures;

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:42:01 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: E. A. Oppelt rifle repair
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 02:09:14 AM »
Nice job Captain.
Buck

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:14:32 AM »
JTR,
  Very nice, thanks for sharing  ;D  E.A. Oppelt is a favorite of mine. ;D
  In Russ Harrigers book, " Longrifles of Pennsylvania: Jefferson, Clarion, and Elk Counties ", there is a fine example of Oppelt's work from his time in Clarion County. Edwin A. Oppelt had purchased land and buildings from Nicholas Shennefelt, and continued gunsmithing for a few years, then moved to Ohio where he became a doctor ( and, apparently a part-time gunsmith according to census records.
  Now, in order to put a " fly in the ointment", Oppelt's guns bear many striking similarities to those of Wm. Shreckengost, ( i.e. inlays, stock architecture, etc. ), I have to wonder, who trained whom? ???  
  I would expect Mr. Shreckmeister to weigh in on this ::)
                               Shreck ( NOT meister )

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 02:19:38 AM »
John,

I always enjoy seeing your "Before" and "After" photos. This is another example of your fine work.  Thanks for sharing.

Bill

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 03:50:12 AM »
Another victim saved!  Nice work , John.
JIM

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 04:14:29 AM »
John,
Whats the secret drying oil? Old Style or Coors.
Buck

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 05:25:06 AM »
Thanks guys! I've got to say that I enjoy doing what little bit I can.

Also, the owner of this gun gave me permission to show the before and after, and I wouldn't post pictures of a gun that I didn't have permission.

Buck, that oil is so secret, I've forgotten exactly what's in it!

John
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »
I've not seen many Oppelt rifles, but they are from my neighborhood.   This rifle looks like he had as much time
working on the barrel as he did on stocking and fitting the rest of the gun.  To add to Waldmaus' statement, there is a rifle in the Hariger book that has a wrist wrap that was done by Wm Sheckengost.  The templates for the wrist wrap came out of the Shreckengost family collection of tools etc and I have a Shreck rifle with a very similar and highly unusual wrap.   ALso interesting about the wrap is that it does not appear to be done to repair any break, just decorative.  Nice Resto job JTR.  Here is the wrist wrap.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:21:48 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:49:04 PM »
Thanks for the interesting info on Mr./Dr. Oppelt. This is the only rifle by him that I've seen, but I thought there must be one pictured someplace in the books.
John 
John Robbins

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 01:32:55 AM »
I restored a rifle by the same maker a few years ago. It was a short half stock with a very fancy patch box. I am looking for pictures but so far I can't find them. There are several pictures in the Ohio books.  Nice job. Jack

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:58:22 AM »
Hi John,
Beautiful job!!  I am in awe.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
Dave, I just saw your comment, so Thanks very much!
John
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 02:11:01 AM »
John:  your work is wonderful.  The finished rifle is by far more interesting than the neglected and damaged one.

Are the bands at the breech of brass rather than gold?  In the before shot, they are very dark, which says to me that they must be of brass.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 06:08:43 PM »
Thanks Taylor!
And yes, the bands are brass. The owner wanted them cleaned up to show better, but not actually altered or repaired in any way.
By now, I expect they've dulled back a bit.

John
John Robbins

roppelt

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »
Wondering if anyone knows where I could acquire something by E.A Oppelt?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 10:10:20 PM »
Not much of his work around. Go to the Brookville long rifle show and ask around
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

ClaudeH

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 03:45:37 AM »
What is this Brookville long rifle show you speak of?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 05:57:12 AM »
Jefferson County Long rifle and Indian artifact show. It's usually around Labor Day weekend near Brookville PA

Spinner

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 10:48:54 PM »
Thanks for the plug, Rob.  Here's info on the show (our 11th year).  We use two buildings at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds (just off I-80, Exit 81).  One building is antique arms and accoutrements and the other building is Indian Artifacts.  There's also a raffle for a nice Ron Luckenbill recreation of a Abraham Burkett rifle.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:20:30 PM by Spinner »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 01:56:09 AM »
Great little show. Lots of knowledgable people.