Author Topic: Screw tips on powder-horns  (Read 7631 times)

Bruce

Screw tips on powder-horns
« on: March 02, 2009, 02:19:05 AM »
What tools can I use to establish threads and grooves for screw-on/screw-off powder-horns tips?
And where may they be purchased?  Thanks,  BHB

tuffy

Re: Screw tips on powder-horns
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:11:15 AM »
Any wood threading tool will work. You decide on the size you want and buy that tool. They can be found at one of the following websites. Naturally the horn has to be filed down to size to fit the die and the tip drilled to accept the tap. When threading, be sure to work slowly and clear the chips often.;D

http://www.bealltool.com/products/threading/threader.php

http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=98N11.01&bhcd2=1235955474

omark

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:52:41 AM »
  i have been using my cooklng oil as lube when threading. it does help. mark

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »
Thanks for the information and help. 

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:53:24 AM »
How do I get the entire location a photobucket to display once I have highlighted the IMG location?   Additionally I don't see any copy feature or button.  Am I to assume that I have to physically retype that address on the post-reply site?

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »

BHB - put you curser over the picture andthe url and other addresses will show, then run the curser down to the bottom one, left click to highlight, then right click and copy. Then go to whatever site you want to show the picture and click paste in your post

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »
[Here are some photos of a horn I just completed.  It was my third and the first in which I employed fluting and scrimshaw.  I used aqua fortis and a bit of heat for the patina.   I made this horn to commemorate my great-great-great-great grandfather's sacrifice at the Battle of New Dorlach (today Sharon Springs, NY) on 9 July 1781.   

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:28:00 PM by Ken Guy »

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
Previous submission would not print third photo, so what am I not doing for this to occur?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »
There are too many [img]s in some places and some places you have[IMG] When you copy your code direct from photobucket.  You do not nee to hit the image icon. 
Also hit the return button between lines of code.  That will sperate eveything and put a little space between the pictures.  I fixed a couple but don't have time to fix them all.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 06:11:18 PM »
Nice work - I really like to see the curved fluting on horns, but lack the patience to do any of that myself - I certainly congratulate those who do.

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »
Thank you for fixing the photos.  How you did it ids beyond my ken.  I am always just beyond the grasp of computor tinkering.  Anyway, you reestgablished the pictures that I wanted displayed.  Thanks again.  Watch yer top-knot out there.  BHB

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 07:29:36 PM »
I think I have all the pcitures showing now.

When you copy the long line of letters and numbers from photobucket you do not need to hit the image icon.  Just cut and paste as it is.  Hit the preview button and your picture should show up then.
Ken
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:41:49 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 10:09:56 PM »
What tools can I use to establish threads and grooves for screw-on/screw-off powder-horns tips?
And where may they be purchased?  Thanks,  BHB

Take a look at "The Book of Buckskinning II" You will find good info to get you started with a screw tip.

Tim C.

Bruce

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 02:26:42 AM »
      Roger to that on the screw tip.  Thanks.  What do you folks use to seal the butt-plugs with?  I use a mixture of rosin and beeswax, 3:1 ratio.  It seems to work but has not been subjected to longevity yet.  One has to work quickly with it as it sets fast.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 05:43:11 AM »
BHB, I concur with Tim on the Book of Buckskinning II.  It's got a great article on screwtips as well as horn construction and will probably give you more questions as you read through.  As with everything else, remember there's usually more than one way to skin a cat.  Happy Horning.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."