Author Topic: Need some recommendations on a .36 rifle  (Read 11775 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Need some recommendations on a .36 rifle
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:02:09 PM »
OK....I have a curly maple stock blank and a 42 inch, swamped, A weight, .36 cal Rice barrel.  I would like to solicit some recommendations on an appropriate type of rifle to build along with recommendations on a lock, butt plate, trigger guard, etc.  I am not a big fan of barn guns or really plain southern rifles.  I like early, Lancaster type rifles but I really don't know where to go with this.  I know there are lots of options, and I am too busy to start another project right now, but I would like to start forming an idea of where to go with an early, small caliber, long, slender rifle.  Any suggestions?
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Need some recommendations on a .36 rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 09:20:53 PM »
With your engraving and carving skills, I would love to see your interpretation of a John Noll rifle.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »
Early implies a buttplate nearly 2" wide or so, and that won't work as well with a narrow diameter barrel.  Don't worry about recoil with a .36; there won't be any. I could see you building a Sell or Armstrong as well as a Noll as suggested.  Maybe think about a Bucks County style as well.
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 09:46:35 PM »
A Bucks County rifle would be my second choice and a good choice for you since you aren't fond of SMRs.  I think it would be a delightful rifle, IMHO.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:07:54 PM »
Melchior Fordney or John Newcomer would be my first two choices.  I would love to see your interpretation of Melchior Fordney.
David

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »
 Even before I read Rich's post I was thinking Armstrong, Peter White, Fordney. Maybe a Bedford or Emmitsburg  style.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:16:56 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 12:09:49 AM »
A Sheetz late Virginia rifle with a chambers late ketland flintlock.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:13:39 AM by flinchrocket »

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 01:37:36 AM »
Dave, I would love to see your work in a Kentucky rifle, either the Louisville, or Lexington.....theses pierced PB, and or the hidden hinge PB that these riffles exhibit. Shelby G. Has a original that just is so thin and beautiful......
These rifle don't have much in the carvings, but the understated elegance is wonderful!

I want to do a lexington, KY next....... ;D
Southern swamped rice barrel in 40 cal maybe.......

Marc n tomtom

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 02:50:56 AM »
With your engraving skills you NEED to do the fancy George Nunemaker rifle.   :o
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 03:08:45 AM »
I also think a Sheetz late Virginia. Some carving but detailed patch box, engraving and inlays.
Mark Thomas

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 03:14:17 AM »
You've received some excellent suggestions Dave, but assessing your ability, I think you'd do justice to a Western PA build....Fleeger, Allison, etc.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 03:46:02 AM »
Wow....thank you all for the suggestions.  Now I need to look up examples of each maker and style to get familiar with them all. 

Osprey, I have been looking for any photos of the Nunnamacher rifle.  I have only seen one color picture.  Does anyone know who owns that rifle ? 

The Nunnamacher, and one built by Noll, have probably inspired me the most.  They both shown up in a single photograph on the cover of a book published by the KRA in 1985 (The Kentucky Rifle, a True American Heritage in Picture).  I bought the book when it first came out and admired the two rifles on the cover ever since.  (Side note, Bill Shipman built a magnificent rifle generally patterned after a George Kreps rifle that had also caught my eye in this  book - page 49.)   

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5337.0

Here is a poor scan of the poor condition book jacket that I still have so you can see what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, the book contained no other photos of these two rifles.  There are two other Noll rifles in the book, but not the one on the cover (!) and no mention at all of the Nunnamacher (lower one in the picture above.)

I have found a few more fairly poor, black & white photos of this same Nunnamacher rifle in the book "Accouterments" by James Johnson and a few more photos of both the Nunnamacher and Noll rifle in "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age" (Kindig, et al, 1971).  All very poor photos compared to what is possible today if whoever owns one of these rifles could spend 10 minutes taking some digital pictures with almost ANY camera available.

My question is, in the past 30 or 40 years, has anyone published any more and better photos of these two lovely rifles?  I do not know if there is even another Nunnamacher rifle known to exist.  I would think that someone, somewhere would have published better photos, but I can't seem to find any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:05:58 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

kaintuck

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 03:51:43 AM »
Ya'll......I think I hear the gears a grinding...... :D ;D

Noble task!

Marc n tomtom
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:19:08 PM by kaintuck »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 06:46:58 AM »
Lehigh, Rupp, Kuntz!!
In His grip,

Dane

eddillon

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 08:30:53 AM »
Northampton-Young!

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »
Dave if you can find a copy of 'Maryland Longrifles' by Hartzler and Whisker there are some decent pics of the Nunnamacher (Nunemaker?, it's spelled both ways in that book), although all black and white.  There is also a second gun by him that is much plainer, no patchbox, and although it doesn't give details looks to possibly be a fowler.

I also recall some really good pics in a past Muzzleblasts on a bench copy of the rifle, but I'd have to go back through the stack of magazines to find it.  I even think it listed the owner of the original at that time.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 05:15:35 PM »
Patrick Hornberger's new book Masterpieces of the American Longrifle has detailed pictures of the John Noll rifle.

I built my latest .36 as a Bucks County rifle. The A weight barrel lends itself well to this sytle.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 07:04:34 PM »
 I am not a big fan of barn guns or really plain southern rifles.  I like early, Lancaster type rifles but I really don't know where to go with this.  I know there are lots of options, and I am too busy to start another project right now, but I would like to start forming an idea of where to go with an early, small caliber, long, slender rifle.  Any suggestions?

After thinking about it and the fact that you are not a big fan of barn guns or really plain southern rifles. How about something from the other NC Schools say, Salem, in the Vogler style. Others to look at would be the Rowan school, #16 in Bivins'
 Longrifles of North Carolina comes to mind. A look at Jamestown rifles would be in order I would think.
 I know this is out of your Pa thinking but I think these rifles have been greatly over looked.

Tim C.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:52:00 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 12:20:11 AM »
NC Schools say, Salem, in the Vogler style.
Ah, yes a silver mounted Vogler would be right up your alley.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 12:40:20 AM »
Since a .36 caliber would tend to indicate a later style I would vote for either a Western Pa. style, NC Vogler style or something in the Philadelphia school.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 03:33:06 AM »
Well Dave; Sir, it took me a long time to flip my hat in the ring. However I found just the rifle for your abilities, skill level. Here we go - "Jacob Paulmer", Stark county Ohio. Silver mounted flinter. Found on  "Lone Rifle Collectors". New site "The American Kentucky Rifle". Scroll down to "Association of Ohio Long rifle Collectors". One of four (4) pictured. I know you have a large number of rifles to research, however this one needs to be checked out. Please report on your selection. Good luck. AJ   
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 04:25:09 AM »
Geo Eister, John Noll or Armstong.  any of those would be awesome in my opinion.
Eister would be a special challenge, given his penchant for what I consider restrained elegant style of both engraving and carving.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »
NC Schools say, Salem, in the Vogler style.
Ah, yes a silver mounted Vogler would be right up your alley.
Dennis

I would pay good money to see what he does with that.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
Geo Eister, John Noll or Armstong.  any of those would be awesome in my opinion.
Eister would be a special challenge, given his penchant for what I consider restrained elegant style of both engraving and carving.

Jeff
With respect to the Eister, if you look at the one in the museum, I can get you more pictures and measurements. It is in poor shape however.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »
Well Dave; Sir, it took me a long time to flip my hat in the ring. However I found just the rifle for your abilities, skill level. Here we go - "Jacob Paulmer", Stark county Ohio. Silver mounted flinter. Found on  "Lone Rifle Collectors". New site "The American Kentucky Rifle". Scroll down to "Association of Ohio Long rifle Collectors". One of four (4) pictured. I know you have a large number of rifles to research, however this one needs to be checked out. Please report on your selection. Good luck. AJ   
      http://www.historicalarms.com/antique-guns-swords-artifacts-for-sale/4569.html     
Joel Hall