Author Topic: I need help identifying this flintlock  (Read 4689 times)

Bigedge

I need help identifying this flintlock
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »
I posted this on another forum, and they suggested I post here to get more responses. The barrel is ~39" long and a smooth bore. The only marking I can find is the name on the lock, and it's too worn to read. I'm not sure on caliber/gauge, but the muzzle measures .75" wide.

Any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:12:03 AM by Bigedge »

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: I need help identifying this flintlock
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:41:17 PM »
Hey BigEdge - Welcome to the ALR, thank you for sharing your fowler.  What you have is an English halfstock fowler - maybe ca 1800 or a little earlier (others here will know a more precise date).  These were made in the thousands from the 1790s to 1830s and later for export to America, though I imagine many stayed behind for use in England as well.  The Iron trim and the hooked breech are nice features.  The lock to my eye looks like the cock and frizzen have been replaced. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:55:09 PM »
Its a bit of a wreck, but as already said, a reasonably good English half-stock fowler. It may say "Ketland" on the lock. Although I can't really read it, the style of the signature looks very much like that seen on the better grade K locks. This could have been either exported to America or used in the UK. It is definitely a cut above the usual, low-grade export guns we commonly see here.

I see some proof marks on the left upper flat of the barrel. A good, sharp photo of those will tell us more but I also agree that a date around 1800 (give or take 5 or 10 years) is almost certain.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 12:56:43 AM »
Is that whole lock a replacement...the fit doesn't seem very good?

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 01:36:56 AM »
I think the lockplate is original but agree the cock and frizzen are off something else. Check with Blackley and Sons or maybe TRS for correct replacements. Either way a nice find.

Greg

Bigedge

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 04:43:11 AM »
I'm sure you guys get tired of being asked this, but what would a reasonable selling price be? My friend inherited this fowler from her father, who served in Europe during WWII. She has no interest in keeping it so I offered to help her do some research on it. 

JV Puleo, I looked over the part of the barrel you mentioned and did not see any proof marks. The only marking I can find is on the lock.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »
 Bigedge.
From the images  posted and what I can make out what you have is a typical English Flint lock Fowler, The lock is of the period 1760-80 and original  for the period the frizzen which is later is a badly filed up sand casting the triggerguard with a acorn finial is of the period. The barrel with the style of the ramrod rib  at the muzzle suggest it is an imported barrel which was popular at that time on some English Fowler's. The makers name may be Joseph  Hunt  1766-1774  Gun and Pistol Maker  of 42 Bull Street  Birmingham, England, has for the present price here in the UK  it would sell for around  £200 sterling
Feltwad

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »
HI,
I agree with Feltwad.  My references (in this case Blackmore and, Bailey and Nie) show a Joseph Hunt as a Birmingham maker 1766-1774 but also a contractor to ordnance 1774-1782 and the East India Company 1774).  As Feltwad mentioned, the lock certainly could be from that time period.  The acorn finial on the trigger guard suggests the period 1760-1790 and so does the butt plate.  However, to me, the stock shape and style of checkering seems later, more like the end of the 18th or early 19th centuries.  I wonder if it was restocked or made new then but used older salvaged or left over parts. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."