Author Topic: Fitting a Buttplate  (Read 3868 times)

Offline ptk1126

Fitting a Buttplate
« on: April 07, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »
When doing the final fitting of a buttplate to close those minor gaps, the only recommendation
I have seen is to tap the edges with a mallet.

Would it make any difference to try to anneal the edges of the buttplate ? I only have a propane
torch so I'm not sure it would generate enough heat. The buttplate is from Reeves Goerhing.

Thanks
Paul

Offline JDK

Re: Fitting a Buttplate
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »
First insure the edge of the wood is straight.  If it is not you are only going to have a crooked edge to your plate where it meets the wood.

From my experience, Reeves stuff is butter soft and likely you can bend it with your fingers.  While annealling won't hurt, and you should be able to get plenty of heat with propane, if your gaps are slight as they should be, just tap them closed and file the exterior to remove any hammer marks.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »
Reaves brass can be hammered without annealing, if all you are doing is a slight movement.

Long John showed me a trick of hammering the edges of the plate to close gaps. Stand the plate up on edge on an anvil, and tap down on the upper edge. This will push metal toward the buttstock. Yes, it narrows the width of the plate a little, but it makes closing gaps a breeze. Raise a touch more than you need, then file the inside face of the plate to smooth out any irregularities of your hammering.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:04:06 PM »
First insure the edge of the wood is straight.  If it is not you are only going to have a crooked edge to your plate where it meets the wood.

or the wood on the stock......................I file my BP and make it flat.....then work the wood, then a small tiny place can be tapped to close a few hundreds of a gap~~~

not no 1/8" stuff now.......... :-\

marc n tomtom

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 12:22:57 AM »
I don't do anything to the buttplate after it's filed smooth and flat...just keep removing wood until a gap free fit is achieved......Fred

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 01:54:45 AM »
Yup!  ...just like Fred.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

kaintuck

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 03:23:15 AM »
Ahhh....you guys!!!
We all know you have elves in your shops at night....... ;D

I HAD some elves.....then one day tomtom seemed fatter, and tired, I thought he just didn't want his food that day......THEN, I saw the un-finished parts still sitting on the bench.......

Marc n tomtom

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 01:13:01 AM »
Thanks Guys

I have it tight enough now to suit me.

All the best
Paul