Author Topic: Extra hole on opposite side  (Read 11641 times)

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
Extra hole on opposite side
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:27:03 AM »
Afew years ago I had Jason at rice make me a barrel that was originally to be a drop-in for a thompson hawken. Me being stupid and not thinking about the weight factor ordered it drilled for .36 caliber and 36 inches long. When I recieved it and put it in the stock...boy it was heavy and very nose heavy. Its a 15/16 barrel. I knew that wasnt going to work. So I am going to plan b. Anyhow I noticed also that there is an extra hole drilled and tapped with a hexagonal headed allthread screw on the opposite side of the barrel from the snail . I then called jason and asked him why it come with a extra hole and he explained to me that some barrels jusy come that way. I have never heard of this, have any of you? Also what would be the way to fix this? any and all suggestions will be appreciated. This screw will just fall in the barrel if you try to tighten it.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Extra hole on opposite side
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:40:00 AM »
If the hole is in the barrel you could cut 4 inch off the breech end and then re-breech. Less weight and a change of the balance point.

kaintuck

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 12:44:28 AM »
Anyhow I noticed also that there is an extra hole drilled and tapped with a hexagonal headed allthread screw on the opposite side of the barrel from the snail . I then called jason and asked him why it come with a extra hole and he explained to me that some barrels jusy come that way. I have never heard of this, have any of you? Also what would be the way to fix this? any and all suggestions will be appreciated. This screw will just fall in the barrel if you try to tighten it.
:P
THAT'S FUNNY!!!........a cleanout for the snail???
a hole to see the insides???
something to make a left hand flinter?????

ahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......................I think I'd be talking again to the barrel supplier~
marc n tomtom

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 12:51:00 AM »
Some of the foreign made barrels with snails come that way.  That's how they drill the flash channel from the bore to the nipple. Dumb idea, but that's why it's there.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 01:03:33 AM »
Some of the foreign made barrels with snails come that way.  Dumb idea, but that's why it's there.
Not so dumb, as a lot of fine English guns are done that way.  The difference is that they plug the hole with a rebated screw and then file the head flush with the breechplug.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 01:48:23 AM »
The way I understand this is as follows:  The BREECH PLUG has this hole through it to align with the nipple seat.  The barrel is not drilled.  How is this Jason's responsibility?  I'd be calling T/C if you are concerned about it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:35:05 PM by Ky-Flinter »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 02:33:47 AM »
Topknot -- my question is this -- is the threaded plug in the barrel or is it in the breach plug? If it's in the breach plug your question has been answered in the replies above. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:09:39 AM »
P.w. berkuda  in reply to your question, the hole is in the barrel on the left hand side. I am not talking about the breechplug. I am a right handed shooter and the snail of the patent breech would be on the right side of the barrel, right? the hole is on the left hand side of the barrel. Not the breech plug but the barrel.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 03:18:38 AM »
 If I understand you correctly some of the best English rifles of the late 18th and early 19th centuries were that way.
If anybody mentions it just tell them yours is the superior model.   
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 03:46:11 AM »
 The replica Santa Fe Hawken rifles had this feature.  They had a allen socket head set screw in them.

Hungry Horse

Offline whitebear

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 05:34:48 AM »
Did Jason make the barrel for you or did he just sell it to you already made?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 06:30:45 AM »
Whitebear, When I ordered it , it was my impression that he was going to make it up from a blank, new and he never told me otherwise.. If I had known that that it was going to be like it is, I would said no thamk you. Smylee grouch had a terrific suggestion if I knew who would or could do it for me. And thats to cut off 3 or 4 inches from the breech end and then have it rebreeched. That would take off some weight and help to balance it out some. Now to find someone to do it. Any suggestions?

topknot

P.S.  I almost forgot my manners, thanks to everyone for chiming in with your comments, I appreciate it!
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 06:53:00 AM »
Can you post a photo?    Or send a photo to someone who can post it for you ?
I'd really like to see it.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 08:29:42 AM »
Whitebear, When I ordered it , it was my impression that he was going to make it up from a blank, new and he never told me otherwise.. If I had known that that it was going to be like it is, I would said no thamk you. Smylee grouch had a terrific suggestion if I knew who would or could do it for me. And thats to cut off 3 or 4 inches from the breech end and then have it rebreeched. That would take off some weight and help to balance it out some. Now to find someone to do it. Any suggestions?

topknot

P.S.  I almost forgot my manners, thanks to everyone for chiming in with your comments, I appreciate it!

If it were me I would call Bobby Hoit.  I don't have his phone # but someone on the forum will have it I am sure.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »
  I think if you look a little closer, you'll find that the hole IS in the side of the breech plug. The plug is a patent type and is shaped to match and mate up the octagon barrel, then polished with the barrel. Done well, the joint can be almost invisible. There would be no reason for Rice to drill a hole in the barrel itself. Jason did say that some come that way. He did not mean the barrel. He meant the plug unit.

kaintuck

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 01:54:02 PM »
Bobby Hoyt.....just send the barrel with a return address and a $100 check....he will get to it, and send it back with change or a bill for the difference......#1 AAAA work and honesty!

Marc n tomtom

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
The replica Santa Fe Hawken rifles had this feature.  They had a allen socket head set screw in them.

Hungry Horse

High quality long range muzzle loaders had the breech drilled in on side and out the other and many
were low in relation to the bore so the nipple angle could be established.The nipple seat was drilled
usually to the depth of the threads needed for the nipple.The much smaller flash hole would intercept
the cross drilled hole which was threaded and the right side was plugged with a threaded rod and then
upset like a rivet and filed smooth and frequently was engraved.The bolster side had another thread
screwed tightly in and many times covered with a platinum plug sometimes called a "blowout"plug.
Some of these were vented.The idea behind all this work was to prevent high pressures generated by
launching a 500+ grain bullet from damaging the base of the nipple or prevent it from blowing out altogether.
I think the breeches being discussed here were made cross drilled as a production expedient and not an attempt to emulate anything of quality.I know this from seeing X rays taken from an original Alex Henry
long range rifle that belonged to the late Don Brown in Canada in 1987.

Bob Roller

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »
P.w. berkuda  in reply to your question, the hole is in the barrel on the left hand side. I am not talking about the breechplug. I am a right handed shooter and the snail of the patent breech would be on the right side of the barrel, right? the hole is on the left hand side of the barrel. Not the breech plug but the barrel.

topknot

If the hole is in the barrel then my suggestion is to cut the barrel & re-breach it BUT if it looks like this

then it's OK. I did this to drill the flash channel from the nipple to the main charge. The hole is counter bored, threaded and a plug is machined to fit snugly and also soft soldered in place - it will never come out with out drilling it out. I hope this helps you ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 08:15:37 PM »
  Go here. Look up breech plugs in the gun parts. Find the T-C replacement plugs and you will see one with a screw in the left side.http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/632

eddillon

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 12:34:11 AM »
Back in the '70s when I was a builder of multiple Hawken rifles, all of the hook breeches I used were furnished in this manner.  The had a set screw in them.  Removed the set screw, replaced with a screw, cut it off, peened it and filed flush.  Still have one of those rifles.  Contemplating letting it go.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 05:26:17 AM »
Thanks to everyone who have responded. As many of you already know, due to my near death experience and extended hospital stay back in 2011, I dont have any short term memory due to an extended period with not enough oxygen. And with all the responses that I have recieved , parts of my memory has been jogged. From what I have remembered with all of your help is this. And its ok to call me a dumb---. As I have already related, I had originally intended to have a drop in barrel for my thompson and had Jason install a new patent breech plug which he did. When I recieved the barrel and realized that it was way to nose heavy for the half stock, I decided to try to use it in my first ever gun build of a dickert-ish rifle. What I didnt  remember is that I had the barrel sent to Troy Roope at stone wall creek to have him install a new breech plug as I had decided to use a drum and nipple . Then i went ahead and bought all my other parts from Troy. And now from what some of you have said ,the reason that I have that extra hole in the barrel is because it went with the patent breech that Jason had originally installed. Now is the time for everyone to take a deep breath and call me dumba--!
Now thats over with, I have decided to have 3 or 4 inches cut off at the breech and have it re-breeched. Some of you have mentioned Bobby Hoyt. Do any of you have contact info for him? Guys, I am truly sorry for any inconviences that I might have caused you. It is you guys that make ALR what it is.   Thank you so much for your answers and God bless all of you.

topknot
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:07:36 AM by Topknot »
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 05:36:46 AM »
Thanks for that explanation topknot. If you cant get through to Hoyt there are many others on this site who could do the job for you. Good luck with the project, I'm sure it will change the way the gun feels in your hands and how it balances.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 02:43:57 PM »
Thanks to everyone who have responded. As many of you already know, due to my near death experience and extended hospital stay back in 2011, I dont have any short term memory due to an extended period with not enough oxygen. And with all the responses that I have recieved , parts of my memory has been jogged. From what I have remembered with all of your help is this. And its ok to call me a dumb---. As I have already related, I had originally intended to have a drop in barrel for my thompson and had Jason install a new patent breech plug which he did. When I recieved the barrel and realized that it was way to nose heavy for the half stock, I decided to try to use it in my first ever gun build of a dickert-ish rifle. What I didnt  remember is that I had the barrel sent to Troy Roope at stone wall creek to have him install a new breech plug as I had decided to use a drum and nipple . Then i went ahead and bought all my other parts from Troy. And now from what some of you have said ,the reason that I have that extra hole in the barrel is because it went with the patent breech that Jason had originally installed. Now is the time for everyone to take a deep breath and call me dumba--!
Now thats over with, I have decided to have 3 or 4 inches cut off at the breech and have it re-breeched. Some of you have mentioned Bobby Hoyt. Do any of you have contact info for him? Guys, I am truly sorry for any inconviences that I might have caused you. It is you guys that make ALR what it is.   Thank you so much for your answers and God bless all of you.

topknot

Memory loss due to oxygen deprivation is NOT being dumb.About 40 years ago I had a high fever that kept going higher and as a result I have little memory of my childhood before age 9.We are not dumb,only damaged.

Bob Roller

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 06:25:47 PM »
Robert Hoyt at the
Freischutz Shop
700 Fairfield Station Rd.
Fairfield, Pa. 17320.
His phone # 717-642-6696 He doesn't have a website or email - you have to use the phone. Be prepared to wait for him to shut down a machine and walk to the phone - let it ring. . .
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 12:49:02 AM »
Thanks Dennis for the info and also to all of you. One more thing guys, what length would be optimal for balance with the nose end being not too heavy? In case you have forgot its a 15/16th barrel.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.