Author Topic: browning barrels  (Read 4945 times)

tricorn hat

browning barrels
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:31:52 AM »
Apart from the commercial stuff, [Laurel Mountain Forge, Plum Brown etc] what is a good SLOW browning solution?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: browning barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 03:17:57 PM »
Time and humidity?  I've heard horse urine.... Anything slightly acidic?

LMF, Danglers, Wahkon , are all commercial products that work.  Why not use them?

All of them require the same conditions.... Time and humidity.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »
Just curious, why do you want to go "SLOW"?  I'd like to find a product that works faster, but with the same results.

If cost is a factor, I think you'll find the commercial stuff really is a bargain.  The 2 oz. bottle of Wahkon Bay is about $8 and I can do at least 2 barrels and some hardware with it.

Again, just curious.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »
Unless you local humidity and temperature conditions are favorable rusting a barrel may be an issue.  I live out West.  The humidity can be low with a low temp.  A damp cabinet is needed to make any progress.  Getting the cabinet to work right is no easy task, condensation ruins the job.  Frankly, I us Birchwood Casey or various home brew quick browns.  If you do it right they look fine.

A word of warning on quick browns, avoid mercuric chloride.  It is a nasty poison that does not clear from your body easily.   Inhaling the steam from swabbing mercury browns on steel will make you sick for a long time. It is a serious neurotoxin. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
When I was a kid, I used nitric acid - no gloves of course, too tough for that - fingers burned and throbbed from months. should have worn gloves. It made a really rough surface, but a nice brown.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 06:26:44 PM »
I spray my barrels with a 6% vinegar, or sometimes "Coke" and just hang them in a tree outside my shop.
Rub down with straw from the chicken house once a day and usually , after a week , they're done.

Online T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
Even something as simple as a solution of table salt will brown a barrel.  Also Sawyer mentions that American backwoodsmen browned their barrels with Sal Ammoniac.  A 0.5% solution yields a satisfactory finish equal to that of salt after 5-6 passes.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:33:41 PM »
I'm with JD......LMF and a nail in the bathroom is the kats meow!

I brown, then strip, then cold blue, then scotch right back.....my 1st barrel, was browned in a box I made, deep choc.....but now, I just hang in the bathroom.....all that steam makes it done in a week.....

I tried the oil burned method, and others on sample steel.....but came back to the LMF formula...the fellows a chem engineer that made it!!

Can't fix perfection in my book!

Marc n tomtom

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:56:56 AM »
If you have the time vinegar and rock salt works.  It takes longer than the Laurel mountain agent but in the 18th century both of those ingredients were readily available.  I suspect that sea water and vinegar would work just as well.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 11:35:27 PM »
When I was a kid, I used nitric acid - no gloves of course, too tough for that - fingers burned and throbbed from months. should have worn gloves. It made a really rough surface, but a nice brown.

And the barrels came out looking pretty good too.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie