Author Topic: How About A 200 Yard Round Ball Match?  (Read 55793 times)

Candle Snuffer

How About A 200 Yard Round Ball Match?
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »
I noticed that the topic post I made back on January 16, 2009 "200 & 300 Yard Patched Round Ball" has accumulated to 5 pages, 67 replies, and 1368 views.  This tells me there may be some interest in this area of shooting, and it got me to thinking.

My thoughts are that maybe we ought to have an informal 200 yard patch & ball long range match here at American Long Rifles?  When I say informal I'm thinking of a type of target all of us could most likely come up with, that being the 22" x 28" poster board, or the same size in cardboard.  We could glue (or spray paint) a 12" x 12" square black bullseye in the center and make its value 3 points, while giving anything out or not touching the bullseye and yet touching on the poster board or card board the value of 1 point.  

The colors of the target is not really important.  Use what you have or what you'd like to use as long as the 22" x 28" sizes remains with a 12" squrare bullseye in the center.  The target would be hung with the 28" length running north to south.

To further the thought, we would take 5 shots offhand, and 5 shots your choice of prone, kneeling, or setting?  We could score our target after every 5 shots and patch it with masking tape before shooting the next 5 shots for score.

We should have two classes - (F) - Flintlock, & (P) - Percussion Lock...  All sights must be open with no front globe, no shaders used, no peep sights.  I wouldn't be to concerned about whether a rear sight is fixed or adjustable as once you're on target there is no reason to make adjustments IMHO.

After we shoot our two 5 shot relays we could post our scores here to compare how we did.  It's not really a competition as much as it is an experiment and a chance to see how each of us can do?  If you'd want to post a picture of your target that would be great, but not neccessary.

I thought maybe we could do this in May, and if everyone would like we could do it again in June or July?

Any thoughts, ideas?  Anyone willing to give this a try?  200 yard patched round ball anyone?

Daryl

Re: How About A 200 Yard Round Ball Match?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »
Marty - that would be a great event, one I'd like to compete in! One of your guys here, Neil H., has done some incredible shooting at 200 yards with his .45, small and light as it is.  Separation of ignition might be a problem, but patched RB and open sights sounds good.  Scored every 5 shots also sounds good, giving 5 matches in one.  A sheet of bristle board is pretty easy to come by and would make a good target.  I suggest 3 scoring rings - bull 5 points, inner 3 points and outer 1 point. For instance 5" bull, 12" inner and the rest of the board the 'outer', target to be laid on it's side as were all long range targets.  I suspect this was done in deference to windage.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »
Sure!!!

Being the Devil, being easy for me, a problem would be finding a 200 yd range, most around here being up to 100 yds., ! I have access to one being 1 hr away!

Course, I could shoot it at 100 and only take 2 1/2 shots in lieu of 5 ;D

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »
Talk about ranges disappearing? - the Fed Government shortened our range from 300 to 200 meters - 234 yards to the embankment.  Our new range that is to replace the old is tied up right now in red tape with Forestry Stumpage Charges on the timber at this time but will have benches for shooting to 1,400 meters.  In acreage, it will be close to being the largest in Canada.  Of course, a drive of 15 min in about any direction from town gives fields and cut blocks with lots of range to shoot. One in particular is about perfect, drive to the shooting site and have at least 2,000 yards flat - bit out of range for the flinter? Sorry for the crowing - kinda like this area though - it's too beautiful and accessible not to crow about.

billd

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »
Sounds like fun.  I have access to a 300 yd range and can take a few guests.  I never even tried 200 before.

Bill

PINYONE

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
Heck where I live no need for a 200 yard Range- most everybody wears Trifocals and can't see 50 yards. Canada is as good as it gets when it thaws out.

The Great Pinyone
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:34:48 PM by Dale H »

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 12:55:03 AM »
Think it would be a great match.  I'm in.

I too can accomadate some guests at my club if you don't have 200 yards available and are in the Metro Denver area (or as far as you are willing to drive :))
Mike Lee

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 04:59:38 AM »
Hey, sounds like we got something going on here.  Good deal! :)

I like Daryl's suggestion of the target better then mine, so if it's ok with everyone let's make our target the way he layed out in his reply and hang the 28" east to west.  Very similar to the Creedmoor matches...  I like it!  Bullseye, Inner, Outer, does it get any better? :)

As far as ignition goes, it really doesn't matter I wouldn't think as we're doing this
as a collective effort.  We could tell what ignition we used as well as rifle and caliber and call it good.

Is the month of May all right with everyone to get this first one shot?

I'd also like to add that if anyone is in need of a place to shoot this match and you're close to Crawford, Nebraska you are welcome to join me out at Northwest Nebraska Shooter's Association, home of the White River Brigade.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:22:53 AM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline Herb

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:59:11 AM »
I like it!  I may not be able to hit the hillside at 200 yards offhand, but I'll try.  Should have a new .50 flintlock to shoot by then, maybe even my .58 flint fullstock Hawken.
Herb

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »
Looking perfect to me - almost.  The idea of a white centre is a good one - although it could be a solid 12" black aiming point with a narrow white line designating the bull. Of course, that is nitpicking.  any holes in the 5" centre should be quite visible to a spotting scope.

I suggest everyone shoot the prone or whatever 5 shot match first, score and mark holes, then shoot and score the 5 shots offhand.  I also suggest you shoot beside something that will hold your patches and 5 balls so you don't lose count and fire too many or not enough.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:28:51 PM by Daryl »

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 10:09:24 PM »
Made up some pdf targets to paste on the large board.  Two piece to print on legal size and four piece to print on letter size.  Can email them to anyone that wants them.
Mike Lee

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »
Lots of ink, but then, that's why I have a srynge and re-fill my black ink ctg. myself.  I end up printing at least 500 targets a year, sometimes more. I like the 24 or 28 pound paper for this.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 02:45:36 AM »
Count me in!  I will fling some lead in may and let yall know how it goes. Hot Dang this is must be fun stuff when just readin and talkin about it gets us so excited!
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 02:56:58 AM »
I do believe I'll have to get some cardboard and black tape and make up some targets, sounds like a hoot.  Never shot over 100 before.  Plenty of room, I can go to 450yds across the back field. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

J.D.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 03:27:37 AM »
Now that sounds like fun. I dunno where I'm gonna find a 200 yard range without driving for 3 hours each way, so my participation depends on finding a place to shoot.
God bless,
J.D.

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 05:40:38 AM »
NP, JD -  just come on up here.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Mike Lee

billd

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 01:36:09 AM »
The links don't work for me.

Bill

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 03:16:46 AM »
don't work for me neither
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 03:33:40 PM »
I do believe I'll have to get some cardboard and black tape and make up some targets, sounds like a hoot.  Never shot over 100 before.  Plenty of room, I can go to 450yds across the back field. 

It only takes one hit on the target to get you hooked, Osprey. :)

I hopeful that I'll have a decent weekend to go out and take some shots at a different color design of another target.  I'm also wanting to try the brown cardboard combination with a 12" white square.  I'll measure in the center of that and put an ink line for the 5" bullseye.

Nice thing about round balls, even down to .40 caliber, holes in the target can be picked up with a moderate spotting scope like I have (15-45), though in the black they are difficult to see, but in lighter color backgrounds they aren't to bad to pick up in the target.  I'll actually be shooting one of my .45's...

Good luck and have fun with it. :) 

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 05:44:43 PM »
Its going to be a while before we can do any long range shooting here - like at least another month- maybe 1 1/2 months.  Weather network says going to get cold again - the snow won't melt much when the temp stays below freezing. -13 right now.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 10:19:05 PM »
Right click the links and then do "save target as".  Then you can open the files in Adobe Reader. 
Mike Lee

J.D.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 11:16:25 PM »
Still won't work. The error message says the file has been damaged or encoded incorrectly.

I'm not especially computer literate and may be doing something wrong, so someone else might want to check it out and report their success, or lack of it, in opening those files.

I would love to come up and shoot, Daryl, but that would be a really, really long drive.  :-\

I talked to my son last night. He is a member of two clubs, one with a 200 yard range and one with a 600 yard range, complete with six foot square, NM style target frames. Anyone ever shoot a ML rifle at 600 yards?  ;D

What gripes me about those clubs is the membership fee. He is only paying $35 a year, each, for access to those ranges. I had to pay  $200 for an annual membership to my old club. And that range only had a 25, 50 and 100 yard berms. Bummer.

I gotta go for a visit...My son, not the ranges...OK, the ranges too.  ;D

Candle snuffer,
<<I made this target this morning.  22" x 28" with 5" White Bullseye, 12" Black Inner, and remaining area White Outer...>>

I'm gonna need a much larger white bull than 5 inches for a 200 yard target.

I MIGHT be able to see the full square, maybe not. I may have to just fire for effect.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:40:35 PM by J.D. »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 04:20:51 AM »
JD,
You can use any color combination that works for you.  Just outline the 5"x5" bullseye inside the 12"x12" Innner, then use whatever color for the rest of the target that you would like.

Daryl,
Would it be better for you guys further north if we scheduled this thing for June, rather then May?  It would give all of us that extra month to get a little practice in as well as for some to be able to locate a 200 yard range.

Also,
You folks that have the distance but no backstop, are you allowed to setup a portable target holder?  That is what I use as we have a common 30' high berm (backstop) at 300+ yards for all ranging on our modern rifle side (though many of us shoot our ML's over there, and our ML Range side has a 125 yard berm/backstop under construction at this time, though we still hold our monthly shoots on it.

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 04:38:05 AM »
June, July, 1st part of August - months when it isn't snowing to hard would be great.  Just kidding, kinda - June would be fine - any necessary. Thanks.