Author Topic: How About A 200 Yard Round Ball Match?  (Read 55795 times)

billd

Re: How About A 200 Yard Round Ball Match?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 04:49:37 AM »
I guess where looking for the best, tightest group.  Mine will be more like a pattern, improved cylinder probably.  But it sounds like fun.

bill

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 04:50:15 AM »
Ok friends, let's set our sights on the month of June for this venture, and figure on reporting our results by July 1st. :)

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 04:53:02 AM »
I guess where looking for the best, tightest group.  Mine will be more like a pattern, improved cylinder probably.  But it sounds like fun.

bill

Bill,
We actually have a scoring system in place.  5 points in the Bullseye, 3 points in the Inner, and 1 point in the Outer. :)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 05:04:23 AM »
Still won't work. The error message says the file has been damaged or encoded incorrectly.

I'm able to do it with a right click and save.  Not sure what the problem is but I'll try putting them on a different location.
Mike Lee

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 05:31:02 AM »
I clicked on the links and they seem to be working.  Thanks Mike!

crispy

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 05:05:49 AM »
I suppose since I live in the same area , I'll get out and be a scutineer for Daryl ,, gotta keep him honest:)

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »
Crispy- no reason for you not to shoot that .50 of yours.  We'll have to make a day of it, all of us - kinda like a competition, but against the world, not just each other.  Think we could get a plow in to do the range? - maybe after they get the regular range road plowed out to the bench-line- maybe June?

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 05:30:40 PM »
Has anybody shot the 200 yet?
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »
Has anybody shot the 200 yet?

If your meaning is has anyone shot for this match (that will be in June) there has been no official targets as yet, and shouldn't be any until June.

Now if you mean has anyone shot at 200 yards at anything (gong or paper), then my answer is yes, but not to often.  At our local range we use to hold 100 through
300 yard offhand round ball matches using metal gongs.  It was a blast but unfortunately we haven't done one in a couple of years, though sometimes I take
my own gong(s) out and see how I can do at the longer ranges.  Sometimes I even
post the Palma Tryout target and shoot at it from 200 yards, but I haven't done that
for a while either. :)

J.D.

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 01:41:36 AM »
I fired a ML silhouette match one time, many years ago. The bears where fired at 200 yards, off hand. I hit three, but didn't knock 'em down. I found a fork of a tree about 4 feet above the targets to aim at, but had a little issue with windage, since I couldn't see the bears through the sights.

Shooting at 200 yards is real easy. However, hitting the targets can be very challenging.  ::)

God bless,
J.D.

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »
Yes, I have shot both 200 yards and 200 meters, offhand.  It's easy to miss a gong at 200 yds.  One afternoon 18 of us shot at a gong 200 meters away .  Everyone fired 5 shots.   Of the ninety shots, only one hit the gong.  When the only shooter to hit the gong was asked how high he held, his reply was " A might high!"  followed by a big smile.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »
When the only shooter to hit the gong was asked how high he held, his reply was " A might high!"  followed by a big smile.

Ye gotta love it when they tell it like it is! ;D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 12:00:24 AM »
Its going to be a while before we can do any long range shooting here - like at least another month- maybe 1 1/2 months.  Weather network says going to get cold again - the snow won't melt much when the temp stays below freezing. -13 right now.

Snow largely gone here except drifts out in the hills, snowed 2" last night but gone by PM. Wind 29-32 mph. Some higher gusts in the AM by the sound.
My 200 yard RB shooting depends on the wind speed.
If it was easy anyone could do it  ;D

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 05:57:14 PM »
I made this one a 'sticky' as I feel all ALR postal matches should be. It deserves to stay afloat and not get buried.  Only 4' or 5' of snow to melt(maybe 1 month), then another month to thaw and dry the ground and we'll be able to shoot this match too.  The crows are gathering now as they do every spring - what a shock to them to see everything still covered by the white stuff.  Maybe that's what they're crowing about?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 10:57:35 PM »
Uh, it might take me twenty shots to get ten on the paper. Is that OK?

Hahaha.

maybe that's not funny.

Acer.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 03:23:08 AM »
 I've got a .40 rifled and a .62 smooth. Which one to use? hehehe

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 03:25:26 AM »
Throw some practice rounds down range Acer, I bet you'll get on paper sooner then you think. :)

Good idea making this a sticky, Daryl...  We just went through a blizzard down this way, and it's snowing again but the wind isn't blowing causing 3 to 5 foot drifts and in some places more.  Of 'course, this is just small potatoes compared to what you folks get up there.

We'll be dried out in a couple weeks is my guess?  I hope! ;D

Go for the smoothie LB... :o :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:27:18 AM by Candle Snuffer »

omark

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2009, 04:50:07 AM »
leatherbelly, enter with each one, i hope to.     mark      :D

Leatherbelly

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2009, 05:49:37 AM »
  maybe I'll chunk shoot the smoothie.

Daryl

« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 03:50:19 PM »
Sure, use the SB, LB - but - only 2 on each page. Aim Small - don't miss.   

ottawa

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
let me know about the june or july if it works. Ill be out of the country from april till mid may.

THANKS Ben

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »
Morning Ben,

We have the match scheduled for the month of June, so you would have all that month to shoot.

BuffaloGun

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 09:17:31 AM »
This sounds too fun to pass on. I've tried 200 yards and was surprised at how hard it really is with iron sights.
As to holding high, my front sight ends up about 1/4 inch above the rear to get on paper at 200.
June will give me some time to get practiced up.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 04:01:48 PM »
I'm hopeful for half way decent weather this weekend (though the forecast looks really crappy) so I can maybe do a little practicing after our White River Brigade monthly match this Sunday.  

Who knows, maybe even some of the WRB members will want to give this a try and maybe we can incorporate this match into one of our monthly matches each year?  I think it'll be a lot of fun for everyone who takes part. :)