Author Topic: How About A 200 Yard Round Ball Match?  (Read 55794 times)

Daryl

Re: How About A 200 Yard Round Ball Match?
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 05:06:44 PM »
Still need snowshows to get 100 yards, let alone 200 - still snows almost every day and the butt's are covered with snow so nothing to staple targets too - hey - isn't this April?

Leatherbelly

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »
Still need snowshows to get 100 yards, let alone 200 - still snows almost every day and the butt's are covered with snow so nothing to staple targets too - hey - isn't this April?
Bring your missery slippers this Sunday Daryls.This snow is turning to mush.Fall off the trail and we won't find you till late summer. The snow might be gone by then! Sheesh

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
So much for the planned weekend of practicing 200 yard shooting.  Woke up this morning with 6 to 8 inches of new snow on the ground and it's still snowing and the wind is a blowing and drifting.  We're starting to look like our northern neighbors down here with all this snow of late... ;D

Well, there's always this coming Wednesday when I'm off, or after Easter weekend.  Moving this match to June was the right idea for sure! :) 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 02:33:17 PM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2009, 06:14:34 PM »

I was going to Cody with a friend for a match and some firearms photography today but last night  the scanner got active, the Sheriffs deputies were having trouble staying on I-90 so I canceled the early AM departure trip as it was supposed to get worse. Did not want to have to commit hari-kiri over breaking Don's guns by running off the road or having some fool run into me.
Of course this AM the roads are mostly clear again..... Temp did not continue to drop, snow stopped etc.
Springtime in the Mountains. Have not had one like this in a few years. By the time I reached Daryl's house coming back from AK I had about maxed my snow tolerance but it followed me home... !@*%&@ banana belt anyway. I should have NEVER mentioned....
At least here the snow keeps melting off.... And making mud... We have nice form of gumbo here the sticks and builds up with wonderful effectiveness, shoes, tires anything it touches. Once out on the county roads away from town its similar to driving on ball bearings. Had it been colder I might have went looking for a coyote to torment but now its "honey do" list time. Sigh.
She is making French toast though ;D

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northwoodsdave

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2009, 06:21:27 PM »
I may have to get involved in this as well!  Sounds like just too much fun to pass up.

As for the snow problem, our snow is finally going away.  But that means the mud season is upon us.  What ain't still ice and snow-covered is becoming a mire.

Hopefully by June the weather will have settled enought to gets some shooting in!

I've shot two hundred yards with iron sights (my old Argentine Mauser).  It is NOT very easy.  And that was forty years ago, when my eyes were much younger.

Trying it with a black powder rifle is sure to be an experience.  At least I probably won't use up many targets!  I figure ten misses means you get to use the same target again!

Dave

Kirrmeister

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2009, 12:22:07 AM »
Hello from Germany!

Being new to this forum, but not to the ML stuff I wouöd also take part at this 200 yd contest!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2009, 02:36:30 AM »
Hello from Germany!

Being new to this forum, but not to the ML stuff I wouöd also take part at this 200 yd contest!

Regards

Kirrmeister
Welkom ;D

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 04:04:15 AM »
Hello from Germany!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister,

Welcome to ALR.
Mike Lee

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 04:20:17 AM »
Welcome to ALR,  Kirrmeister.

Yes by all means, join in the fun. :)

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 05:58:16 AM »
We better be pracitcing, those germans have been shooting at these distances for a loooong time!
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2009, 06:43:39 PM »
Hello from Germany!

Regards

Kirrmeister
A question for you??    Was there a tradition in Germany when shootin matches were held in which targets were mounted on the far side of a small lake but the ball had to be bounced off the water then in to said target. ???  I do believe they were r ball matches..... ???  Now that would be an interesting match to redo here.  I do know of a few clubs that have such a body of water

Leatherbelly

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2009, 10:03:39 PM »
 I didn't see any referance to offhand or bench. I take it this an off hand event? Should be fun!

Kirrmeister

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »
Hello from Germany!

Regards

Kirrmeister
A question for you??    Was there a tradition in Germany when shootin matches were held in which targets were mounted on the far side of a small lake but the ball had to be bounced off the water then in to said target. ???  I do believe they were r ball matches..... ???  Now that would be an interesting match to redo here.  I do know of a few clubs that have such a body of water

Hello,

I heard about those matches too, but don't know who did them here in Germany!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2009, 11:00:38 PM »
I didn't see any referance to offhand or bench. I take it this an off hand event? Should be fun!

LB,

This was written in the original post;

"To further the thought, we would take 5 shots offhand, and 5 shots your choice of prone, kneeling, or setting?  We could score our target after every 5 shots and patch it with masking tape before shooting the next 5 shots for score."

Leatherbelly

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2009, 11:15:36 PM »
Ah, sorry,Old timers setting in.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2009, 05:45:14 AM »
We better be pracitcing, those germans have been shooting at these distances for a loooong time!

Heh, heh.  I think Kirrmeister prefers a roe deer under 50 meters.<g>
Mike Lee

Kirrmeister

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »
No Sir!

A 200 yds target will be even bigger than a roe deer.These critters are really small, even at 50 m.
My farest shot and hit with oprn sight was at 80 meters!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2009, 06:29:10 PM »
I remember seeing the pics you posted.  They sure are small animals.
Mike Lee

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2009, 12:42:54 AM »
I read some where that the common distance for the german shuetzenfest was 200  yards,  Everyone shot at the wooden target, last one to knock off a piece , or last piece, was the winner. Maybe one reason for the large caliber yeager to knock off bigger chunks!         
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2009, 03:09:51 AM »
I read some where that the common distance for the german shuetzenfest was 200  yards,  Everyone shot at the wooden target, last one to knock off a piece , or last piece, was the winner. Maybe one reason for the large caliber yeager to knock off bigger chunks!         

I use to know something about the Shuetzenfest but I can't remember exactly how it was done, but I do believe Scott is on the right track.  I had read at one time how the NMLRA did it.  Maybe I'll do a search and see if I get lucky and find out how they are/were(?) doing it.

LB, you're not the only one with oldtimers settin' in...  I got a case of it myself. ;D

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2009, 03:19:14 AM »
Sometimes you get lucky.  I did find someting on the subject from the NMLRA.  I'll post it under a new topic, "Shuetzen"

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »
I'M in,
  I've already had practice though.  Since most everything I learn is by trial and error, I have already experimented on the accuracy thing @ long distance.  Hit a 6in circle @ 220yr 4of5 times (but then I quickdrew fanned and knocked 4 cans of a fence once... only once....  have tried several times since... SEVERAL TIMES)

RICH :o

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2009, 03:29:49 AM »
Ok, June is just around the corner and we all know what that means, 200 yard round ball.  For anyone needing a refresher on how we're doing this go back to the first post in this thread.  Also scroll down a little ways and you'll see a sample target I made up to give everyone an idea of what we'll be shooting at.

Hope the snow has cleared off enough up north for you fellers'  ;D

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2009, 04:00:15 AM »
I'm good to go.  Is there a start and finish date or???
Mike Lee

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
Yes sir.

Starting June 1st, 2009
Ending/Reporting Results no later then July 1st, 2009

(Report results here on this site.  Post a picture or two if you'd like
but it's not mandatory.  We'll take your word on how you did)

Please post your results similar in this fashion;

Name - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Relay 1 - XX Points
Relay 2 - XX Points
Total - XX Points

200 Yards
Patched Round Ball Only - Flint or Percussion Ignition
Open Iron Sights
Relay 1 - 5 shots offhand
Relay 2 - 5 shots 'your choice' from - prone, kneeling, or setting.  You choose.

Scoring;

Bullseye - 5 Points
Inner - 3 Points
Outer - 1 Point

Hope I didn't leave anything out.  Let me know if I did. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:30:31 AM by Candle Snuffer »