Author Topic: Accuracy Gone South  (Read 16966 times)

Daryl

Re: Accuracy Gone South
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 04:29:55 AM »
I try to load that way exactly the same every time.  Bouncing the rod, as you see Ross doing is not in my repertoire of loading practises - nor is blowing down the bore. The ball must be seated the same each and every time - but - you shouldn't crush the powder nor damage the projectile - which bouncing will do.  US soldiers were taught to bounce the rod to ensure the ball or bullet was down. If the rod's tip fits the ball or bullet, damage to that projectile will be kept at a minimum - however - it does compress the powder directly beneath the projectile and also  crushes the granules to a fine powder - this changes it's ballistic properties, shot to shot.  There are a few people at rondy who bounce the rod - their shooting does not challenge me.  If rod bouncing is the way your stick floats because it is historically correct, then by all means do it.  The rod's tip should be almost a scraping fit the bore exactly, and the nose should fit your projectile perfectly, else damage will happen and if ill fitting of rod, the damage will be "all over the map" from side to side as well.

Taylor puts the short starter's hole on the top of the rod, and pushes it down firmly using both hands. This works for him and he's a strong competitor - always.  In my own chronograph test of loads, I find the system I use gives me very consistant velocities. If I just push the ball down too the powder by feel, until it 'bumps', velocity falls up to 100fps average and shot to shot velocity extremes are more than doubled.

Accuracy with muzzleloaders is about 50% shooting, and 50% loading. I don't know where I read that over 30 years ago, but I believe it.  Consistency, though art a jewel.

Teach

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »
LB,I've had a lot of success cleaning up rifle bores using LB bore  paste,  Rifles that were doing just what your rifle is.
Track of the wolf sells it.

Cheers Teach

Lon Baugh

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 10:17:12 AM »
Teach,

If you mean "JB Bore", I gave the barrel a good cleaning with it, as mentioned above. I keep thinking about the quirk I noticed while cleaning, where the bore seems a bit larger or smoother in one spot, when pushing tight fitting patches down it. If the barrel is slightly bulged at that point I'm not sure how you would be able to measure it. Possibly by miking the outside of the barrel? Maybe with the breech removed an abnormality could be seen while looking through it.   LB

Leatherbelly

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 10:38:13 AM »
 If all else fails,pull the breach. The rough spot near the bottom would be my concern.
If your barrel has a nice radiused crown, and if you are using a tight patch/ball combo, and you're using a sloppy wet patch, it might have a rough spot in the barrel.
If your barrel is wrung(worst case scenario), you'll need a new one. Ya, there are some fixes, but down the road it comes back to haunt you. Hopefully it's not that bad and it all works out for you.

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »
Just replace the barrel, Lon - Track has them all ready to install, I think.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
Just replace the barrel, Lon - Track has them all ready to install, I think.
If you can't steel wool that rough spot smooth at the rear end (which I do think is your real problem) and the barrel is rung, then I'd go to a replacement barrel and sleep better at night and stop kickin your dog! ;D

Hate to get off the track here; but Daryl's video interesting!!  Daryl: We noticed you went to your bag for your prime (twice) then ended up using your main horn to prime!! ???  I know, picky picky.  Did you leave your priming horn in the truck ???

Seems like you and Hatchet Jack were in a $#*! of a hurry, was the camera near mt ???     Lastly did you and Jack hit the gong ???

Leatherbelly

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 11:37:55 PM »
  In the early 90's, I purchased a beautiful Fraser River Hawken. A real nice locally made rifle(#65 I think).It was well looked after,on the outside, but as a somewhat of a newby,I didn't check the bore. I was so excited about buying a custom period correct rifle that I didn't check the bore and at $400, I thought I was stealing it. Took it to the range and fired it about 7 or 8 times. Had a heck of a time getting the ball down the pipe and almost had to jack-hammer it down the last inch or so.
 After breaching the barrel,a ring was detected about 2 1/2 to 3 inches up the bore. The fellow I bought the gun from had left a spit patched ball in there over the winter  with about a 120gr charge behind it.( judging by the length of the charge in this gun,a 54)Yep, this Green River Barrel was hatched! So, I replaced it with two barrels of the same thickness from Don Getz,one a .50 and the other a .58. What a shooter that was.The fifty for targets and the fifty-eight for hunting. The.58 was a very nice handling rifle ,lottsa recoil with hunting loads and the .50 was a little bit heavy. Gosh, when I think back on all the rifles I've sold, I'd give my left gonad for this one back.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:39:40 PM by Leatherbelly »

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 04:20:07 AM »
Good eyes, Roger - I"d run out of prime on my last shot on the trail as we walked back out - just so used to going for that priming horn - nope, no hurry - always laod the same unless I'm talking to someone while I'm loading,t hen I have to think about what I've just done before continuing - hate that  ::)- sometimes ;D.  I wondered if someone would see that pouch grab when time to prime.  Not only did I use my mail horn to prime, but you notice me dumping 1/2 of it out on the ground - wayy to much went in. I doubt the frizzen would have closed.

I'd not have run out, if I'd filled it before going.  Hey - that 3F went off OK, didn't it.  I hit the gong - you can just here Taylor say good shot". No one said anything after Ross fired his 20 bore - well, afterall, it wasn't a big gone- about 2" in diameter and 2' 1/2' long hanging vertically about 25 yards out.  If you listened carefully, with good speakers, you can actually hear a dull clunk. I think that bar's solid steel.  The .45 or larger swings it pretty good, but the .40 only tickles it.  My new .58 really makes it dance and I'm only using 70gr. 2F - so far.

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 04:29:04 AM »
   Gosh, when I think back on all the rifles I've sold, I'd give my left gonad for this one back.

Heh, heh I'd give BOTH your gonads to get my .69 back. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Teach

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »
Teach,

If you mean "JB Bore", I gave the barrel a good cleaning with it, as mentioned above. I keep thinking about the quirk I noticed while cleaning, where the bore seems a bit larger or smoother in one spot, when pushing tight fitting patches down it. If the barrel is slightly bulged at that point I'm not sure how you would be able to measure it. Possibly by miking the outside of the barrel? Maybe with the breech removed an abnormality could be seen while looking through it.   LB
Sorry about that , I missed where you had tried it.
If you would like to unbreech your barrel , I have a tool that you can borrow, if you Pm your address I'll mail it to you.
Taylor ,I'm anxious tohear  how to polish the crown ?

Cheers Bob.

Lon Baugh

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 11:28:58 PM »
Teach,

I've had that tool for years and figgured I'd never use it. Thanks for the offer. Decided to order a r/ball barrel from Thompson Center to use while I'm playing around with this one. Will post again if I find the answer to this problem. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.    LB

Daryl

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 04:00:25 AM »
Lon- trackofthewolf.com has Green Mountain round ball barrels (& slug barrels) to fit TC and Lyman guns. I'd check pricing before buying one from TC. They are straight drop-in's as far as I know, from .50 on up.

Lon Baugh

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 06:22:58 PM »
Daryl,

Nobody has that Green Mountain barrel in stock. So I called GM and they won't be making  them again for a couple months. I called TC and their custom shop has a r/ball, 1 in 66, drop-in barrel that's 31" long. Price is $185 complete with sights, ramrod, etc. They are made to order so it'll be 4 to 6 weeks before I get it.      LB

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »
Daryl,

Nobody has that Green Mountain barrel in stock. So I called GM and they won't be making  them again for a couple months. I called TC and their custom shop has a r/ball, 1 in 66, drop-in barrel that's 31" long. Price is $185 complete with sights, ramrod, etc. They are made to order so it'll be 4 to 6 weeks before I get it.      LB
Go with what you got! ::)

Daryl

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
Lon - sounds good to me. All it will need is a bit of work on the crown - nicely radiused.  The only 1 I've seen shot very well.