Author Topic: fattie...getting thinner.....  (Read 3594 times)

kaintuck

fattie...getting thinner.....
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:04:42 AM »
 ;D

sights on..............

fattie kat helped.........never still!

working on the PB latch now......then the nose cap.................. ;D

marc n tomtom

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: fattie...getting thinner.....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 03:11:39 AM »
Your rifle is shaping up nicely.  I can see that you have brought the wood up thin to the barrrel channel, especially in the lower forearm.  But the upper forearm needs some work...it should be heart or even "V" shaped to the rod groove.  I'm happy for you and your build.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:15:25 AM »
Stop dishing out the wood on either side of the barrel tang. >:(
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »
Stop dishing out the wood on either side of the barrel tang. >:(

Mike, glad you said that!.....I am trying to bend the rules of tangmenship here.....I wanted to have the wood follow the flats of 45degree barrel on each side of the top flat....I am at a 1/32 proud off the slope at this point......there will be some simple tang wood carving......so I'm done here I guess ::)

Tom, I'm not sure of where to go on that forearm....heartshape sounds good....but couple of other fellows, Ken and Allen seem to have a U to the wood???

I can make a pattern cross section at different station along the forearm, and post them.....I would very much like to see the same from a finished CS rifle. I sold my "wood welder" years back :D so can't put wood back ON.....only remove :-[
Fellas???....please help on the final form of the forearm......from the RR entry point to the BP is now set in stone.......I will place two parallel lines and do a simple RR entry carving, incised I think~~~
So, any cross sections you have please post.....

Marc n tomtom

Offline okieboy

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 09:11:07 PM »
 I don't have anything to say about the wood, but think that I would lose a pound or two off that rear sight!  :)
Okieboy

kaintuck

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 10:58:17 PM »
I don't have anything to say about the wood, but think that I would lose a pound or two off that rear sight!  :)

Ahahahahaha a.... A "Rosie o donnal" rear sight! I made a bunch of different sights a while back...and since this was a C weight barrel.....I put the biggest one I had on her! :P
Funny thing is, with my bi-focal eyes....that big sight groove and fat front sight can be seen!....I just may enjoy shooting this rifle.....

I still know I don't have the knack of some of you fellers.....but it's a nice hobby, I get quiet time with my kat in the shop, and makes life more peaceful.......WAY better than watching the nightly news! :-\
Marc n tomtom