Author Topic: What's it worth? Dickert barrel on eBay?  (Read 5465 times)

Offline Stoner creek

What's it worth? Dickert barrel on eBay?
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:31:12 AM »
I'm just wondering what it's worth. The barrel appears to be the proper length. Obviously converted and half stocked. That signature means something to all of us so, what's it worth?
Stop Marxism in America

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: What's it worth? Dickert barrel on eBay?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 03:57:00 AM »
If we assume it is an authentic Dickert signature, then we next think about who wants it and why.  A collector of longrifles who would love to have anything affordable associated with Jacob Dickert is one sort of customer.  An important piece of longrifle history.  To that person, it may be worth $500, maybe $1000.  Where else are you going to get something Dickert-associated for that kind of money? A working period flintlock mechanism never restored to flint and suitable for restoration work will start at $300 and go on up.  One signed by an important maker?  More.  So why not a signed barrel?

Next is someone who is restoring an original stock believed to be a Dickert.  You might be surprised at some of the original longrifles in books that started out as a buttstock with a few parts attached, but no barrel.  I can think of 2 offhand and I have no insider information.  Now they are presented as complete rifles.  A restored Dickert, seems to me, would be in the pricing ballpark of a restored JP Beck, etc.  A buttstock, not so much.  So for that unique situation, it might be worth even more than I guessed above.

I'm not an active or up to date collector and keep in mind that serious collectors are reluctant to discuss pricing as it is bound to upset a seller or a buyer out there.

Keep in mind that any uncertainty about the signature's authenticity will affect value.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:59:36 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 04:37:09 AM »
The signature looks good. The cartouche between the J and D is indistinct. The front sight and underlug by the metal rib isn't Dickert. The tang doesn't have any bolt holes in it, so must be a latter addition.
In this condition I wouldn't pay more than about $250/300 for it, unless you really need it.

John
John Robbins

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 04:48:43 AM »
Great insight! Thank you! My interest will be solely focused toward the Dickert (actual Dickert) signature. I can't see myself restocking the barrel. I would liken it to the same signature from the classic masters from the past be it music, art, or the written word.  Without being star struck, isn't it the same? Old Jacob was the big dog!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 04:50:36 AM »
Here's a picture of Dickerts Signature, in better condition.
John

John Robbins

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 05:00:14 AM »
Thanks. I've been going back and forth comparing. They look pretty close.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline spgordon

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 04:14:42 PM »
There are a couple of Dickert signatures reproduced here:

http://www.immigrantentrepreneurship.org/entry.php?rec=180

Scott
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 05:15:36 AM »
The bidding went to $460.00. Reserve was not met. Oh well!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Habu

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:06 AM »
I've got an ongoing search for old rifle barrels (looking for a couple to  use in some research), so I sort of keep tabs on barrel prices.  I'd figured this one would go for right around $500, and it seems it did finally sell for that.  The price of signed barrels by known makers seems to be creeping up.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 03:13:34 AM »
Hmmm, the last bid I see is $406.99, and the reserve still not met. Maybe an after sale, sale?
John
John Robbins

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 03:48:59 AM »
Time ran out on the auction, with the bid at $406.99, but it did not meet the reserve price, so it didn't sell.  The owner re-listed the barrel with a buy-it-now price of $500. and somebody bought it.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 05:14:26 AM »
Oh okay, thanks!
Maybe I ought to sell mine!  :o

John
John Robbins