Author Topic: AAAAHHHHhhh....I broke it.....  (Read 2547 times)

1927modet

AAAAHHHHhhh....I broke it.....
« on: April 13, 2015, 03:46:56 AM »

Well I was working on the stock adding the new piece of wood to it.... when I went to check the fit with the barrel in it and come to find out its just a little too small.AAHHH
Well being ticked off at that I didn't pay attention where I put the barrel on the bench
and when I turned around..... I seen it dropping from the corner of my eye and snap!.....
The tail broke off the breach plug where the screw hole is.....but it was already broke at the very end and cracked on one side of the hole where it broke...There's a old welding shop about 3min from me and I was thinking of taking it to them....

Has anyone ran into this problem?

You can see one side of the brake is shiny and the other is dark from being cracked for a long time

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: AAAAHHHHhhh....I broke it.....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:36:25 AM »
Yes, I did the same thing. Those long narrow tangs are bad for that. Here is how I fixed mine. I ground back a slight bevel at the break and welded the pieces back together with the oxygen / acetylene torch and plain mild steel rod. Next, to prevent the same thing from happening again, I brazed a strip of metal to the underside of the tang to reinforce it and filed and redrilled tang screw hole. Next I deepened the inlet to accept the new beefier tang.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA