Author Topic: shortened barrel tang  (Read 2296 times)

Offline conquerordie

shortened barrel tang
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:11:25 AM »
Has anyone cut the length of the barrel tang back? The original I'm using as a model for my jaeger build has a short tang. If the lock is at half cock, the tang comes to about that point. The current tang on my barrel is about half a inch longer. I don't fear hitting the triggerplate for my tang bolt. Just wondering it it would help with the architecture. Anybody do this? I know I could just bend it but I'm trying to capture all the early characteristics of the gun. What say you? Thanks again,
Greg

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: shortened barrel tang
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:20:50 AM »
You cut it whatever length you want.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:59:24 AM »
Consider the tang as cheese for your sandwich. Make it suit your bread size.

Before you cut, make sure where you are planning your tang bolt to be located. You want that bolt to land ahead of the trigger(s).

Tangs are usually supplied long, so the customer can trim to their project. Some tangs are ridiculously wide, so you can shape the sides down, too, if your gun calls for it.

Here is one of mine, and the tang bolt hits the trigger plate comfortably ahead of the double set triggers.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:03:18 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:00:04 AM »
Laying parts out I see I can shorten the tang to the desired length and still have my tang bolt meet my trigger plate where it needs to. Less to inlet too!
Greg